Plumbing a new pool. Need advice...

Mar 14, 2013
Moody, AL
My pool is being dug in 3 days and I'm trying to plan things out. I need opinions on how the returns and skimmers should be plumbed. I will have all 2" lines coming from the skimmers and main drains to the pump and then 2" lines running back to the returns. My pool will have (3) 1.5" returns. First question is, should I run 3 individual lines to the equipment pad or can I run one main 2" line for the returns, connect them in a pressure loop and "T" off the 2" with 1.5" to the returns? Question 2 is on the two skimmers. Can I just run a 2" line between each and put a "T" in the middle, or utilize the 2 fittings on the bottom of the skimmer and connect them in a series? I don't see the necessity of making home runs for each of these, but please let me know if wrong. Thanks for your help!

I don't know why no one has answered yet, but I just did my own, with no knowledge whatsoever, and have two 1.5" suction drains connected to 2" going to the 2" skimmer, then 2" back to the pump. At high speed, it almost sucks the skimmer dry so I have to make sure the waterline is more than halfway up the skimmer.

It's a lot more flexible to run everything back to the pad individually but it's less costly to connect things to a common header and run that back to the pool. If it were me, I'd run everything back individually. PVC pipe is cheap and once you've opened a trench it doesn't cost any more to run 6 pipes in it than it does two. I'd definfitely keep the skimmers and main drain separate.

I'm with Bamma here. I just plumbed my new pool a few months ago and I ran individual pipes for everything except the returns in the sidewalls. I ran a 2" for those and reduced at tee at the return. I wanted to isolate and control my suction lines for vacuuming, skimming, etc. I isolated the step returns so I could increase pressure to those for cleanliness. I also elbowed the pvc down to the concrete to prevent settling/breakage. That's one heck of a pump you are installing-I'd consider a short run of 2.5" plumbing from where your suction lines come together to the pump. I have the 2HP Ecostar with 34,000 gal and I believe it starves for water volume at times. I included some pics of my diy. Are you doing most of the work yourself?

Thanks everyone for the advice! I probably will run individual lines. My pool is a free form mountain lake so it will be more difficult to plumb will all the curves. Yes, janthony, I am doing everything I can myself. My main concern is pump efficiency and equal water flow. I can see the advantages now with isolating the skimmer lines. Will your 3 return jets be equal pressure plumbed in a straight line? My thoughts for plumbing in a loop was to make the jets equal pressure ?? I don't have any step jets. Should I pick up some real quick?

humitec said:
Thanks everyone for the advice! I probably will run individual lines. My pool is a free form mountain lake so it will be more difficult to plumb will all the curves. Yes, janthony, I am doing everything I can myself. My main concern is pump efficiency and equal water flow. I can see the advantages now with isolating the skimmer lines. Will your 3 return jets be equal pressure plumbed in a straight line? My thoughts for plumbing in a loop was to make the jets equal pressure ?? I don't have any step jets. Should I pick up some real quick?
To equalize the pressure on the returns, I ran the pvc 2 ' or so past the last return and capped. In other words, instead of using an elbow on the last one, I used a tee and went past it a little. This is consistently done in plumbing to balance pressure. On the step returns, that's up to you. I had mine plumbed at the manufacturer for a return on each side with optional air intake.(kinda spa-like when I open the air valve) Steps were made by ALPS.

humitec said:
My main concern is pump efficiency and equal water flow.
I really wouldn't get too worked up about equal flow rates as long as there is decent flow out of all the returns. IMHO, it really isn't all that important and I doubt you would really notice any difference.

Also, if the returns surround the pool, a loop may make sense but if the returns are only on one side of the pool, a larger header feed pipe is going to be more effective at equalizing pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.