Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Greetings!

I purchased a home here in sunny Sanford, Florida two years ago in 2011. It had been foreclosed and was a serious fixer-upper. There is a screened in rectangular pool in the back that is about 4 feet deep in the shallow end and 8 feet deep in the deep end, in ground, gunite, around 24000 gallons. This is the first pool I have owned.

There is a roof mounted heater that is mostly made out of some kind of plastic helicoil like piping. It was leaking in a couple of spots, so I cut and plugged those tubes, and it seems to work for the time being, but I want to fit it right. There is what looks like a vacuum release valve that looks like it should have some sort of cap on it to keep out dirt, but it is missing, so if I push down on in the center of the thing with my finger while the pump is running and the valve is set to the the heater, water comes out rather forcefully. There are some wires that go up to the heater, some appear to be intact and others seem broken.

Questions:

1. Is there a recommended place to get replacement black plastic hose for the roof mounted heater? I don't really know what the stuff is called, and that might be part of why I am having such a hard time finding it.

2. Where would I get the missing cap? Or is it not a big deal? The valve works if I press it. Initially it seemed like it had sand/debris stuck in it keeping it open and it was leaking. I opened it all the way and flushed it and that seemed to fix the problem for the time being, but I'd like to fix it right.

3. Wiring. Being that this was a foreclosure, it didn't exactly come with instruction manuals. I have a controller box mounted near the pump with a temperature dial, and I think two sets of wires coming out of it. One set goes to a valve. That works. If I turn the switch on or off, the valve rotates appropriately to either allow flow to the roof or not. The other set of wire seems to go to the roof. I think this set is broken. My thought is this must be some sort of thermostat which measures the temperature of the water and shuts the valve off when the temperature is reached. Is that right? Is there anything else to this? Can I just run new wire, or splice the existing broken parts? How can I effectively test the thermostat to make sure the system is working?

Thanks!

-aseigler

You'll have to know the mfg of the panels in order to get info and parts. Can you get a pic of them? They sound like fafco revolution but it's hard to know without seeing them.

Don't worry too much about a cap for the VRV (vacuum relief valve).

The only electrical thing that is required up on the panels is an air temp sensor. There's also a water temp sensor but it's in the plumbing somewhere.

Are they considered "panels"? it seems like two long pieces of PVC, maybe 20 or 30 feet long, one high on the roof and one low, maybe 15 feet apart parallel, with hundreds of small back hoses running between the two. I can get up and take a picture in the morning.

In reality you will find that each "panel" is probably 4' wide by 10' or 12.5' in height. Multiple panels are connected together into the "bank" that you saw.

There are some panels that are 2'x20', but they generally have the small tubes running sideways.

There are a handful of manufacturers, but a few pictures will likely help ID the specific ones you have.

Here's one from up on the roof with notes:

[attachment=0:njn7o9mh]heater.jpg[/attachment:njn7o9mh]

Thanks!

-aseigler

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 35
Those are indeed Heliocol panels. Parts are a little hard to find, but I can send you what I found previously. There are little plugs you can buy for the leaks from the small pipes. Are any leaks where panels join our end?

You bought this house with the panels right? You may be able to contact Heliocol and see if still warranted.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I did buy the house with the panels. I think they were installed in 1997, but I don't know for sure. I have no idea who installed them either. One of the mysteries of buying a foreclosure.

Contact Heliocol, they have limited installers. Although I do not remember how long the warranty is.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.