A unique idea? (Dane's pool thermometer)

DaneCE

Jul 1, 2011
VA
After my Acurite digital thermometer stopped working I looked for a decent replacement but that doesn't seem to exist. I looked at the standard floating Alcohol thermometer types but many reviews warned of low quality overall or problems with buoyancy (floating on its side).

:idea:

How about a giant meat thermometer tweaked to float?

I bought the "CDN IRXL220 ProAccurate Insta-Read NSF Large Dial Professional" model from Amazon for $9.

The only tweak that was done to make it float was to attach a round piece of foam under the dial. At this point it's been floating in my pool for 6 weeks and no leaks. I did seal the calibration nut with silicone just to be sure and this also keeps the foam from coming loose.

I like that this thermometer can be read without removing it from the water. Mine tested to be pretty much dead accurate so no change was needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3993_opt.jpg
    IMG_3993_opt.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_3994_opt.jpg
    IMG_3994_opt.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_3992_opt.jpg
    IMG_3992_opt.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 494
Reactions: Aznewmom
I have one of these ... which is pretty similar, but sits in the skimmer:
51l2HktxhnL._SY300_.jpg

Ridiculously overpriced for what they are.

Made my own skimmer thermometer

Same idea as the Jandy one I saw for sale. I found this industrial stainless temp probe on ebay, 5" dial, 120f max with a 12" probe. After shipping I think I paid less than $30 for it. I did need to drill a tiny hole in my skimmer basket b/c its a tad too long. Large dial, easy to read, really hope it holds up. I like the idea of measuring the return temp because this should give you a better average reading.

Attachments

• 4-20-2013 lg 359.jpg
    4-20-2013 lg 359.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 431

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For several decades, I have used an old-fashioned stainless steel Taylor on an insulated wire so that no copper is exposed to the water. It came with a rope but they rot away. I always have it about five or six feet down. Why would you take the temp at the top? That's usually several degrees warmer than most of the water in the pool.

Durk said:
I always have it about five or six feet down. Why would you take the temp at the top? That's usually several degrees warmer than most of the water in the pool.

Since my pool is drawing from both the skimmer and main drain there is no temp difference from top to bottom unless it is less than the 1 degree resolution of my temp sensor. I can draw from either the skimmer or the main drain and the temp is always the same.

bobby1017 said:
Durk said:
I always have it about five or six feet down. Why would you take the temp at the top? That's usually several degrees warmer than most of the water in the pool.

Since my pool is drawing from both the skimmer and main drain there is no temp difference from top to bottom unless it is less than the 1 degree resolution of my temp sensor. I can draw from either the skimmer or the main drain and the temp is always the same.

You must run your pump a lot. I do fine with two 4-hour blocks. I definitely get a temp gradient on a hot sunny day, and a small one on a cloudy day due to convection.

yeah, when I'm in the pool my pump is on. I never notice a difference in temp from the bottom to top...although I have only 4 feet of water. I have serious circulation going on...if I'm floating I might get caught in a giant whirlpool.

Durk said:
bobby1017 said:
Durk said:

You must run your pump a lot. I do fine with two 4-hour blocks. I definitely get a temp gradient on a hot sunny day, and a small one on a cloudy day due to convection.

Right now it is on from 9 am to 6 pm.

When I leave my cover on till late afternoon then open it up, my top foot of water can be almost spa like with the remaining lower water refreshingly cool! Its quite remarkable, but i've never tested the differing temps. Once we get in and move it all about it becomes balanced. I think I'll get two thermometers and rig it up for curiosity sake.

I just make my kids get in the pool to check the temp. Actually, I like it. I have a controller that reads temp but having something floating in the pool is nice. They have tons of options for grilling that are wireless, maybe one of those could be adapted?

An interesting idea I saw today while doing research for some work stuff. Crestron makes a thermometer thats designed to be planted in concrete as you pour it. Might be a very cool option if you're building a pool.

Crestron is insanely expensive but I'll bet you could do a bit of research and come up with something that works nicely with an arduino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.