Borax vs. Stabilizer/Conditioner

JohnH

May 28, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
My CYA is 100ppm, when I get my CYA in check ( 30-50) before swim season can I switch to Borax (mule 20)? Do I need to use the black dot CYA or switch to the borates test strips that I ordered with my TF100? Pool School is recommending CYA 30-50 or Borates 30-50? Thanks

John

Ok, thanks. So I would keep my CYA level between 30-50ppm with Stabilizer and Borate level between 30-50ppm with Borax. Since Borax is not necessary to balance your pool and CYA is, what is the purpose to implement Borax to your pool?

John

Borax is used for 2 reasons.

1. Raise pH if it's low.

2. Borax can be carefully added via process that raises borate levels to approx 50 ppm. This acts as a further TA and pH buffer, plus an added benefit is the algaecidic properties inherent inborates.

Number 2 above is optional, and should only be used after your pool is stable and you are extremely comfortable with understanding the chemistry behind BBB.

Smykowski said:
Borax is used for 2 reasons.

1. Raise pH if it's low.

2. Borax can be carefully added via process that raises borate levels to approx 50 ppm. This acts as a further TA and pH buffer, plus an added benefit is the algaecidic properties inherent inborates.

Number 2 above is optional, and should only be used after your pool is stable and you are extremely comfortable with understanding the chemistry behind BBB.

ok, Thanks.
1. Can I use Baking Soda to raise PH?

2. Since my pool is new (Mar.2013), It's best to wait on the Borax?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.