SWG-Help with right system

Jul 1, 2009
My original Jandy Aquapure SWG died last year and I have just been adding liquid cl since. I am now in the market for a new SWG and I am so confused. It seems like there is no system that appears any better or more reliable than another. I was thinking about the circupool product, however, I heard about the melting of cells and that concerns me. My local pool store is pushing the hayward goldline product, however, I have read that hayward gives major incentives to dealers. Also, on Amazon, the reviews for the goldline are not great. I am now thinking about the autopilot product. I want to be as hands off as possible and obviously dont want to be replacing parts every year. If anybody could please throw in their two cents I would appreciate it.

I should mention I have the Jandy pda system, but was told I can control almost any after market SWG without necessarily having to link to the Jandy. Again, any info would be helpful...Thanks!!

All three of the brands you mention: CircuPool, Hayward, and AutoPilot make SWGs that are well thought of. There is no brand that is completely trouble free. All of them occasionally have some problems. The cell will wear out after three to five years. Other than that, most owners of any of those brands won't experience any issues. However, some owners will.

The Jandy PDA will work with any brand of SWG. However, except for a few Jandy model SWGs, you will not see the SWG percentage setting on the PDA remote, and instead will need to use the control panel on the SWG. Since the percentage is not something you adjust very often this is normally not an issue.

Thanks for the info..I noticed you had done a review of the autopilot a couple years ago...Are you still using that product? Also, any thoughts from the customer service standpoint on either of the mentioned brands..ability to get parts etc. Thanks!

Hayward is one of the most widely used SWG, if not the most used, with easy parts availability and lots of people who are familiar with them.

I still have my AutoPilot and still love it. I am going into my sixth year with no problems since I turned off the Total Control features and went back to using the DIG-220 equivalent mode. AutoPilot units tend to cost a little more and include some nice extra features. When they do need servicing the parts also cost a little more than they would for other brands and some parts are a little more difficult to find than for a brand like Hayward.

I am willing to pay a little more upfront for peace of mind. I know they have been in the SWG business for a long time and that is a selling point as well. Have you even had to replace the cell yet?? So for my pool would the DIG-220 work with the appropriate cell. Regarding cells I have heard to get one much larger than needed and run at a lower % to increase life. Is this an accurate statement in your experience? Thanks!

gvnchase44 said:
I am willing to pay a little more upfront for peace of mind. I know they have been in the SWG business for a long time and that is a selling point as well. Have you even had to replace the cell yet?? So for my pool would the DIG-220 work with the appropriate cell. Regarding cells I have heard to get one much larger than needed and run at a lower % to increase life. Is this an accurate statement in your experience? Thanks!

The DIG-220 should be fine on your pool with the correct size of cell. It is recommended that the cell should be rated for 2-3 times larger than your pool. The larger the cell, the longer it should last because you will run it at a lower %.

You should look at your plumbing and figure out if the cells will be easily plumbed in. Some cells need to be horizontal, others vertical, just look up the install specs and see if you can easily fit one that replaces the Aquapure. One of the perks for the DIG-220 is that it only needs 15 GPM of flow, so your pump speed can be set low for this unit. The Aquapure needs 30 GPM and I'm not sure on the other brands.

Larger cells do indeed last longer. My cell is nearly 3 times over-sized and doesn't show any sign of wearing out after five years. The cell cable has gotten some mold on it, but the cell looks brand new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.