What's cooking for Memorial Day weekend?

You Texans do know how to BBQ. I do want to 'expand my horizons' and do brisket and some other cuts of beef in my smoker, but I think I'm going to get my smoker going (Big Green Egg) and smoke a couple of chicken breasts in BBQ sauce (low & slow), then let them sit while I jack that thing up to 550, then slice them up and drop them on a couple of quesadilla shells with some cheddar, motz. cheese, black olives, pineapple...mmmm. Pretty simple but my family loves it.

:-D got a college party with over 80 coming tomorrow. pulled pork sloppy Joe's and smoked turkey along with a list of other things as long as your arm. Pool is at 85 and that is ready also. I am taking a break right now from blowing up balloons. I hope everybody has a great weekend I know I will.
Ric W.
:-D

We've had a huge pot of red beans simmering in the slow cooker all night. The house smells awesome! Red beans and rice tonight. There's a pound of bacon, a pound of ham and 2.5 pounds of sausage chopped up in 'em, along with sauteed onions and garlic, bay leaves, beer, etc. Makes my mouth water! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My brisket is pretty simple. I cover the brisket in mustard and then I completely cover with a brisket rub such as the one sold by TexasBBQ. I then put on a 250 deg smoker (with some apple and hickory chunks - I use the Weber Smoky Mountain). I smoke until it gets to 165 deg (set it on at 11:00pm and it is at 165 the next morning) and then I foil and cook until I can stick the probe in and it goes in easily. I then remove the brisket from the foil and cook for 15 to 20 mins to firm up the bark. Next I cut the point off of the brisket and let it continue to cook for another 2 hours as the point has a lot of fat to render. I take the rest of the brisket and wrap in foil and let rest for 30 mins. After that I slice the flat. When the point is done I take it and chop it up for chopped beef sandwiches (mixed with Head Country BBQ sauce).

we're keeping it simple...steaks!

I'll start the pulled pork/brisket season soon, I've just been tied up with work a lot lately.

Side note for pulled/chopped pork...we started using tortillas this year, corn and flour, MUCH easier to eat with a little slaw and sauce on it! Cheaper, and if your feeding a lot it works perfect! Pulled pork burritos!!!

But when I do the pulled pork, I use a lot of the cider vinegar, very NC style since I grew up there :D

uwimage said:
we're keeping it simple...steaks!

I'll start the pulled pork/brisket season soon, I've just been tied up with work a lot lately.

Side note for pulled/chopped pork...we started using tortillas this year, corn and flour, MUCH easier to eat with a little slaw and sauce on it! Cheaper, and if your feeding a lot it works perfect! Pulled pork burritos!!!

But when I do the pulled pork, I use a lot of the cider vinegar, very NC style since I grew up there :D

Yep, us too. We discovered a great recipe for a cider vinegar-based finishing sauce that we use in place of any other type of sauce.

Got two butts in the smoker as I type this. My clothes smell like hickory smoke. 8)

texasbrew said:
My brisket is pretty simple. I cover the brisket in mustard and then I completely cover with a brisket rub such as the one sold by TexasBBQ. I then put on a 250 deg smoker (with some apple and hickory chunks - I use the Weber Smoky Mountain). I smoke until it gets to 165 deg (set it on at 11:00pm and it is at 165 the next morning) and then I foil and cook until I can stick the probe in and it goes in easily. I then remove the brisket from the foil and cook for 15 to 20 mins to firm up the bark. Next I cut the point off of the brisket and let it continue to cook for another 2 hours as the point has a lot of fat to render. I take the rest of the brisket and wrap in foil and let rest for 30 mins. After that I slice the flat. When the point is done I take it and chop it up for chopped beef sandwiches (mixed with Head Country BBQ sauce).

Thanks, TB, sounds great!

Thanks, ktDave, for the info.

I think I've gained TWO pounds just reading this thread! :lol: :lol:

We've got a pork shoulder on the smoker. Trying a new injectable marinade recipe. Smell it cooking all day, so you are ravenous by the time it's done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.