Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's cooking for Memorial Day weekend?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's cooking for Memorial Day weekend?

I don't know about the rest of you folks but since HEB has whole packer briskets for $0.67/lb I am think brisket might be on the menu. What is everybody else cooking up?
    PG-500, WSM, 20K Gal gun pool w/ Aqua Pure 1400 SWG, flagstone coping, gray plaster, DE Filter, 400K BTU nat gas heater and Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

MMM Brisket sounds good. I'll have to go get a couple from HEB and smoke'em up good this weekend.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3

You Texans do know how to BBQ. I do want to 'expand my horizons' and do brisket and some other cuts of beef in my smoker, but I think I'm going to get my smoker going (Big Green Egg) and smoke a couple of chicken breasts in BBQ sauce (low & slow), then let them sit while I jack that thing up to 550, then slice them up and drop them on a couple of quesadilla shells with some cheddar, motz. cheese, black olives, pineapple...mmmm. Pretty simple but my family loves it.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: What's cooking for Memorial Day weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by texasbrew
    I don't know about the rest of you folks but since HEB has whole packer briskets for $0.67/lb I am think brisket might be on the menu. What is everybody else cooking up?
    What is HEB?....and what is your recipe for the brisket?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe that a few racks of baby backs are in order. A long with a splash of burbon sauce, can't go wrong.
    15x30 AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Solar Heater
    1.0 HP 2 Speed pump
    + 2 KIDS

6. Back To Top    #6

I've got to work.......bummer
    12' x 28' Doughboy, partially underground, 9100 gal. Hayward pump and sand filter, Barracuda Zippy pressure side cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

got a college party with over 80 coming tomorrow. pulled pork sloppy Joe's and smoked turkey along with a list of other things as long as your arm. Pool is at 85 and that is ready also. I am taking a break right now from blowing up balloons. I hope everybody has a great weekend I know I will.
    Ric W.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

8. Back To Top    #8
    Pulled pork and babybacks are on the menu here. First smoke of the season!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: What's cooking for Memorial Day weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    What is HEB?
    FYI

HEB is a Texas grocery chain.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

We've had a huge pot of red beans simmering in the slow cooker all night. The house smells awesome! Red beans and rice tonight. There's a pound of bacon, a pound of ham and 2.5 pounds of sausage chopped up in 'em, along with sauteed onions and garlic, bay leaves, beer, etc. Makes my mouth water!
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

11. Back To Top    #11
    My brisket is pretty simple. I cover the brisket in mustard and then I completely cover with a brisket rub such as the one sold by TexasBBQ. I then put on a 250 deg smoker (with some apple and hickory chunks - I use the Weber Smoky Mountain). I smoke until it gets to 165 deg (set it on at 11:00pm and it is at 165 the next morning) and then I foil and cook until I can stick the probe in and it goes in easily. I then remove the brisket from the foil and cook for 15 to 20 mins to firm up the bark. Next I cut the point off of the brisket and let it continue to cook for another 2 hours as the point has a lot of fat to render. I take the rest of the brisket and wrap in foil and let rest for 30 mins. After that I slice the flat. When the point is done I take it and chop it up for chopped beef sandwiches (mixed with Head Country BBQ sauce).
    PG-500, WSM, 20K Gal gun pool w/ Aqua Pure 1400 SWG, flagstone coping, gray plaster, DE Filter, 400K BTU nat gas heater and Polaris 280 cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

burgers and dogs...
    for about 50 people.
    10,600 Gallon 12x32x4 Above Ground
    Hayward Veri-Flo sand filter
    Hayward 1hp pump

Taylor k-2006

13. Back To Top    #13

we're keeping it simple...steaks!

I'll start the pulled pork/brisket season soon, I've just been tied up with work a lot lately.

Side note for pulled/chopped pork...we started using tortillas this year, corn and flour, MUCH easier to eat with a little slaw and sauce on it! Cheaper, and if your feeding a lot it works perfect! Pulled pork burritos!!!

But when I do the pulled pork, I use a lot of the cider vinegar, very NC style since I grew up there
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

14. Back To Top    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by uwimage
    we're keeping it simple...steaks!

I'll start the pulled pork/brisket season soon, I've just been tied up with work a lot lately.

Side note for pulled/chopped pork...we started using tortillas this year, corn and flour, MUCH easier to eat with a little slaw and sauce on it! Cheaper, and if your feeding a lot it works perfect! Pulled pork burritos!!!

But when I do the pulled pork, I use a lot of the cider vinegar, very NC style since I grew up there
    Yep, us too. We discovered a great recipe for a cider vinegar-based finishing sauce that we use in place of any other type of sauce.

Got two butts in the smoker as I type this. My clothes smell like hickory smoke. 8)
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

15. Back To Top    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbrew
    My brisket is pretty simple. I cover the brisket in mustard and then I completely cover with a brisket rub such as the one sold by TexasBBQ. I then put on a 250 deg smoker (with some apple and hickory chunks - I use the Weber Smoky Mountain). I smoke until it gets to 165 deg (set it on at 11:00pm and it is at 165 the next morning) and then I foil and cook until I can stick the probe in and it goes in easily. I then remove the brisket from the foil and cook for 15 to 20 mins to firm up the bark. Next I cut the point off of the brisket and let it continue to cook for another 2 hours as the point has a lot of fat to render. I take the rest of the brisket and wrap in foil and let rest for 30 mins. After that I slice the flat. When the point is done I take it and chop it up for chopped beef sandwiches (mixed with Head Country BBQ sauce).
    Thanks, TB, sounds great!

Thanks, ktDave, for the info.

I think I've gained TWO pounds just reading this thread!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Will be smoking a small brisket, 1 slab of baby back ribs, 1 slab of spare ribs, and 1 chicken.

Looks like its going to be another hot one in Austin (mid 90's).

-- Lee
    18x36 Spartan vinyl inground ca. 1981
    1HP Hayward SuperPump & Perflex EC65 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17
    Sounds great. What type of smoker do you use Lee?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

18. Back To Top    #18

Broke in the new smoker yesterday, 2 briskets along with some sausage and chicken. Have to work tomorrow.
    12000 gal IG plaster, SWCG, cartridge filter, Spillover Spa

19. Back To Top    #19
    We've got a pork shoulder on the smoker. Trying a new injectable marinade recipe. Smell it cooking all day, so you are ravenous by the time it's done!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    Sounds great. What type of smoker do you use Lee?
    I have an offset smoker. I use charcoal and wood chunks (soaked in water) for the smoke.

About 2.5 hours away from pulling all of the meat now. Looks (and smells) good !

-- Lee
    18x36 Spartan vinyl inground ca. 1981
    1HP Hayward SuperPump & Perflex EC65 DE filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast