House downspouts routed next to pool?

geekfamily

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 5, 2013
Metro St. Louis
Our pool is currently being built, and we have 3 house downspout drain tiles that had to be dug up. The PB has not mentioned his exact plans for re-burying, but I have a feeling he is going to use part of the pool overdig to run the drain tiles.

If you look in the attached picture, you will see the temporary drain tile run. I think he will run the drain tile straight out from the house, then along the pool from skimmer to skimmer, then off towards the trees.

Question: Would you be concerned with drain tile running along the side of your pool. One one hand, there will be lots of water running along the pool...but at the same time, if the drain tile develops a leak, it would be leaking next to the pool. The other factor is that this will all be concrete decking in the end, so would seem the less digging they do, the better/compacted the soil will be for the concrete...so maybe his plan is good.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Day 003 - 006.JPG
    Day 003 - 006.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 114
@duraleigh - I agree water along the outside wall is bad. Just to clarify, the downspout drain tile is solid, not perforated. As long as it did not get a hole in it, water would not be next to the pool...however, my concern is if it did get a hole. Still thinking it is not a great idea.

If he intends to run the pipe alongside the pool, and has a sound argument for it, i would insist he use 4" Schedule 40 PVC pipe for the drain. I would also be there for the covering up of said drain to make sure it is installed with a proper drop, your yard looks pretty flat.

Any pipe placed in disturbed soil can be subject to a lot of stress because of compacting. Actually, PVC MIGHT be more prone to crack than black poly because of the flex black poly has. That said, black poly is EASILY crushed and penetrated as I know only too well....believe me! :shock: :shock:

Thanks guys for the great info. I just got off the phone with the PB. He was planning to run the drain tile along his already dug trenches/pool overdig. When I expressed my concern, he said we could do it the way I wanted. However, in our contract, this was a "freebie" that they would do the drain tile work. He said the reason they could do it for free was by using existing trenches. I offered to dig the trench on the long run I was concerned with, and they will dig the trench on a shorter run on the other side. This way I can be sure the drop is correct as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.