New Build and first time pool owner

Apr 18, 2013
So I stumbled on to this website and have been really intrigued by the information I've picked up. That said, I am in the process of bidding out the construction of my pool. I am also trying to come up with what I want as far as pool specs go, and also decking.

So far here is where I am at, and if you find anything you would change please let me know.

With the pool I am going with a free form pool. I am not doing anything special so there are no water features. I am deciding to put as much money into the landscaping and decking that I can vs. going all out on the pool itself. I am not going with an in-floor system, and right now I am having a hard time deciding between a salt pool, a pool with ozone, or neither and just do your standard pool. I had one builder tell me to go with the ozone, and then had another tell me to go with salt or if not salt then don't buy the ozone bc it's not worth it in Arizona. I am also getting a Baja step, but outside of that I will not have much else going on with the pool. I am also going with a plaster type finish. I don't really think the cost of going with Pebbletec is really worth it.

Now to decking. I am trying to decide between artistic pavers or travertine. I also built myself an outdoor kitchen but you can tell a guy who has never built something built it, and it's in need of a remodel. So they are also remodelling that for me. I am curious if travertine or the artistic pavers are the way to go. Depending on where they are getting them it seems like travertine can be cheaper or can be more expensive but they are fairly close in cost.

So all this wraps up what I am doing. I am also going to be purchasing a solar cover for the pool bc I have seen that that greatly helps in adding a month on the front and back ends of the swimming seasons. Is there anything I am missing? Any questions I should bring up before I start construction that I may be overlooking?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum. :lol:. DO NOT pay the money for ozone. It serves little, if any, purpose in an outdoor pool. Ozone requires additional chlorine anyway so save your bucks for landscaping.

I would suggest you start with a manually chlorinated pool but make sure your PB leaves enough space in the piping to install an SWG later. YOu will save the front money and learn a LOT more about how to manage your pool water if you start by doing it yourself.

What type of landscaping are you going to be doing?

Any grassy areas?

Palm trees?

Have you seen the decking they can do in real life yet? When you go see their work walk on it barefoot and see if you do or do not mind any small depressions/lines where pavers meet.

Umbrella sleeves around pool/in pool.

Fire pit?

harleysilo said:
What type of landscaping are you going to be doing?

Any grassy areas?

Palm trees?

Have you seen the decking they can do in real life yet? When you go see their work walk on it barefoot and see if you do or do not mind any small depressions/lines where pavers meet.

Umbrella sleeves around pool/in pool.

Fire pit?
No grassy areas. My wife does want a few pigmy date palms but outside of that I'm going with very low maintance landscape. Will go with travertine or adobe tiles. I am glad you brought up umbrella sleeves bc I will want a couple. Others have talked about additional lights in the pool. Would most recommend that?

We used a solar cover on our previous free form pool and it worked out fine. We bought a larger size and cut it to fit the shape of the pool. We didn't have a roller so it was kind of a pain to manage but I just pulled it of and left it folded when not in use. The sun will eventually cause it to deteriorate, and we ended up buying another. In the heat of the summer we had to leave it off because the pool got too hot!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.