Pool install complete - electrical?

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Pool was installed Monday. Now I'm overwhelmed with what to do next. We still need electricity at the pool site. How long can I wait until I start the pump and filter? Should I go ahead and run an extension cord until we can get an electrician out here? Someone told me using an extension cord would "burn up the pump." If it's only for a week, wouldn't that be okay?
Also, the electrician I spoke with said I only need to bond the water - with an attachment at the skimmer. My research had led me to believe I needed wire circling the pool and attached at 4 points. Now I'm confused about the bonding.

Pool looks great, but there is still so much to do. I had no idea the installer would leave my yard in such a wreck. Wish I had a Bobcat so I could smooth all that dirt out. Also, it looks like I will need some sort of retaining wall or french drain around the high side of the pool.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice about the electrical.

Attachments

• pool complete.jpg
    pool complete.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 370
I'm a total noob so take this info with a grain...

Mine has been on a heavy duty cord for a few weeks while I'm building the deck. I check the cord often for heat and its fine. Of course this depends on how long of a run, mine is short. You need to get it running though if its full of water. If no water, then just cover it and wait.

As for the bobcat, you can rent one for not all that much money...just be careful. They can tear up some realestate in a hurry!

My pool has a high side as well and the installer recommended I backfill with loose fill so it would always drain and not have standing mosture against the pool walls.

...and YES, there is a lot to do. Go look at my thread with the deck construction pictures. I HAVE to have it ready by May 26th for my daughters birthday and I feel like I am setting myself up for failure.

Good luck and keep us posted.

If you make sure it's a 12 ga cord and it's not terribly long you should be ok to run it intermittently. At least enough to keep it circulated and add whatever chems you need to.

Some municipalities don't require bonding at 4 places on an aboveground pool because of the vinyl liner being classed non-conductive (however, it's still a good idea to do it). If you have a permit for the electrical installation I'd ask the inspector what the rule is because they're the ones you're going to have to satisfy. It will also need to bond the pump and any other metallic part that contacts the pool water (swg, heater, etc.).

Were lucky... I need a permit for the pool that is free, the deck is costing me 5$ for the permit, no requirements other than "The pool wall must be 48 inches or taller from the ground or it needs to be fenced in" other than that the inspector said "I dont care what ya do"

The longer the electrical run, the more voltage drop you are going to have. You can get a cheap multimeter (free with coupon at harbor freight sometimes) and test the voltage at the end of the cord. I don't know how many amps the pump pulls but you'll need to consider that too. I'm guessing a single 12 guage 100 ft cord would be all right for a temporary solution. Your next option is 10 guage which is really pricey and heavy. As mentioned, check the cord for heat and I would run just long enough to mix chemicals around.

Your signature says you have a 2 speed pump, I would suggest running it on low if on an extension cord, and I also agree you need a 12 Ga or larger (lower number) cord at 100 ft. The problem is the cord acts like a bottle neck for the electricity to get through and when a motor is starting up it draws a lot more power than while running and this can cause a voltage dip which can cause the motor to partly stall and potentially burn out. The longer the cord or line is the greater the effect, this is why outlets that are farther from your breaker box may use thicker wire than ones that are closer even if they have the same amp rating.

Ike

p.s. the cheapest places I have found for heavy contractor grade extension cords is Lowes or Amazon

I am going to get a 12 ga. 100 ft. extension cord at Home Depot (about $70). I'll only need to run the pump on it for 3 days because the electrician is supposed to be here Monday to install the outlet. The pool already has crud floating in it and it's making me anxious.

This pool install is turning out to be a huge learning project – all things that are new to me. My head feels packed with new knowledge. :hammer:

tjroux said:
Were lucky... I need a permit for the pool that is free, the deck is costing me 5$ for the permit, no requirements other than "The pool wall must be 48 inches or taller from the ground or it needs to be fenced in" other than that the inspector said "I dont care what ya do"

Ooooo! My permit cost us $90.00 and that doesn't include a deck permit which is another $90.00 for when we do it. I don't have to bond and as long as I keep the earth from the pool, I don't need a fence because it's a 54" wall and I have a safety ladder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pipe looks like its possibly a few different things
A French drain as you stated-bad if it was needed due to soil conditions and should be repaired.
A drain possibly connected to your gutter system to drain water away from house- should be repaired same reason
Worst case- its a lateral line for a septic system- very bad unless the sewer system has been converted to city sewer.
Best case- left over debris from house build(highly unlikely due to length on pipe)

I would check with local building department for old permits/ plat map to see what it might be as well as speaking with neighbors who have been around awhile.( amazing the information they seem to know)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.