AA Treatment After Opening?

Apr 14, 2010
Bartlett, TN
I am planning to open my pool in a few weeks and I already know I'm going to need to do an AA treatment. My plan is to open, balance the TA & Ph, pour in some algicide and start the AA treatment since the chlorine levels will already be low from being closed.

Any reason I should not do this? It just seems like a waste to open balance with bleach and then sit around waiting for it to drop back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltypool said:
Keep us posted. I am starting an AA treatment when FC drops to .5 - should be within the next 48 hours.

Fingers crossed for both of our pools!

If this is your first time doing an AA treatment, you are going to be amazed at the results. I've had crystal clear water since I bought the house in 2008 and then in 2012, over a period of 3 days all this metal showed up. I have no idea what happened. The second time I did an AA treatment, I filmed it but the audio was too low. But this will give you an idea of how well this stuff works.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 ... 9718928573

This will be my first AA treatment. Your results look amazing. My liner is starting its 14th year. The staining is a very light dusting but it drives me crazy. I'm mainly trying to get the stains out of the steps since I guess they are permanent. How well do you think they will clean up & do you have any tips for the steps??

My former sins that may have caused the problem: Nature 2 filter(gone for 7 yrs), heater with copper coils (original). Heater is bypassed & SWG has not been turned on yet. When we have to replace the liner, we will replace the heater.

14yrs! Wow! Pretty sure mine is 8yrs old and it's probably going to need to be replaced next year. As far as why you have stains, there are many people here that are more qualified to answer that for you. You mentioned the copper heater and you may need to use something different for copper stains. Not sure about that so do some searching on this site for copper stains. You'll also need to get a bunch of metal sequesterent. I use ProTeam Metal Magic. This stuff is expensive online so search your local vendors as well. I found a pool builder that is selling it to me for $15 per bottle.

Has anyone had any luck with the Aqua Chem Scale, Metal, & Stain Control sold at Walmart? I can't find any info on the ingredients and figured someone here would know. Just looking for something a little cheaper and a tad more accessible than ProTeam's Metal Magic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.