Now, algae sticks to new pool surface tighter.

Oct 7, 2010
Finally resurfaced my pool- was marcite, got the new age stuff diamond brite. Now learning, the algae is so dang hard to brush off the surface. Man, what a chore. With marcite, which was soooo smooth, it would sweep right off with little force. Is this typical, People?

Thanks

I can't really answer your question as to the surface but, Yikes!, why do you have algae in the first place? BBB'rs prevent algae from ever happening (as much as possible, anyway) and should never have to brush algae off the side. If you are having to do that and, apparently, done so in the past, then you need more chlorine in your pool.

If the surface is rougher, then the algae has more to grab on to is my only thought.

The real question is, why do you have algae in the first place?

Post up a full set of test results.

Thanks, but the members here in the past said one can never get away with brushing- impossible, so why the surprise as to me brushing the walls of my pool? Vac takes care of the bottom, pretty well, but sides/wals- you gotta brush. OK, so I got relaxed in my Cl levels- been too busy with life. So, yes, I agree I probably need more Cl, but still, without brushing the pool surface, one wont get good results. If theres another way, I would like to know. Results- will get them tomorrow, hopefully, with tests.

LOL!! OK, now I gotta find that thread- no brush/gotta brush- no consensus. Its a thread I started way back, maybe 1-2 years ago, when I asked here if, with a salt system as oposed to chloride dumping will free one of brushing, and at least one member said I will always have to brush no matter what system I have.

You know, I hope yous are right, as Im gonna find out why Im brushing. Local people (stores, and pool service people, etc) insist brushing is a must (shrug). Anyway, topic is off taget, so is it true a diamond brite finish allows algae to grip better? (even microscopic version can "grip" without one even knowing, until it multiplies and the green starts showing, Im guessing.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
harleysilo said:
Good man, let's get those people back to defend their brushing requirements.....I have a liner not sure if that makes it easier....

Well, like anyone here realy knows who those people are- cmon, this is internet. No one knows who anyone is. Like we can put out a broadcast to them to come on back to defend the statements..........
Im just saying- it was posted, and if it wasnt true, that was the time to post a message to that extent, not that ebveryone necessarily read that thread, but hey, it was up there- no0 one opposed that concept.

noquacks said:
harleysilo said:
Good man, let's get those people back to defend their brushing requirements.....I have a liner not sure if that makes it easier....

Well, like anyone here realy knows who those people are- cmon, this is internet. No one knows who anyone is. Like we can put out a broadcast to them to come on back to defend the statements..........
Im just saying- it was posted, and if it wasnt true, that was the time to post a message to that extent, not that ebveryone necessarily read that thread, but hey, it was up there- no0 one opposed that concept.

The golden age of true anonymity On the web is dead, haven't you heard?

Let's keep this thread on the subject an get rid of any frivolous comments. Noquack has a point. It is mandatory in an algae outbreak to brush a pool..... particularly a masonry pool.

Dirt and grime can realistically accumulate and, certainly during an algae outbreak, brushing the sides to stir the live algae off the walls so chlorine can kill it more readily.

Brushing a pool is good maintenance.

My point in my response above to noquacks was that he had accepted algae on the pool surfaces as normal and that is definitely not what we teach. Proper chlorine levels prevents algae formation so brushing can be done very infrequently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.