Pool Pop-ups

Apr 17, 2013
We have an in-floor cleaning system and lately the pop-ups have not been cleaning very well. There will be a star shaped area where the pop-ups have sprayed and rotated, but not really cleaned with any force. When we turn the system on, large bubbles of air come to the surface. We have cartridge filters that have been cleaned recently so that can't be the problem (we checked them again anyway) It seams like there is air somewhere in the system and we checked the seals and still no solution. HELP!!!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you see air in the pump basket? Do you get air out of the relief valve on the top of the filter?
What is your clean filter pressure? What is the pressure on the in-floor manifold?

What does your water look like?

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Sorry, we are new to pool ownership!!! Our pool is a 14,000 gallon play pool. It is an in-ground pebble-tech. We have cartridge filters but I am not exactly sure about the motor.

We do see a small amount of air in the basket and we do get air from the relief valve on top. The water looks dirty, not green, but not its normal sparkling self! I think the pressure on the gauge was at about 20. I am not sure about the in-floor manifold.

If the water is not clear, it would not surprise me that your filter clogged quickly (doing its job). The dirty/cloudy water could still be algae and if it clogs the filter, your flow will be reduced and the pop-ups will not work very well.

The second issue though is you should not be seeing air in the pump or filter after it is primed, that points to a suction leak somewhere. Make sure the pump lid o-ring is clean and well lubed when you reinstall it. That is the easiest thing to check.

Add more details about your equipment (pump and filter brand and sizes) in your signature.

Read Pool School (button at the upper right of the page) and supply a full set of test results to better help diagnose the water problem.

I would also suggest a thorough cleaning of the filter and then noting what the "clean" pressure is so that you know when to clean it again (when the pressure goes up 20-25%).

Thank you for your help, I am at work right now so I will have to supply the equipment and water test details when I go home in about 2 hours. I do remember that our phosphates were high (I don't remember the number). One pool guy told us to remove all the pop-ups from the pool and run the system, as their might be some dirt and debris clogging the holes. Would you recommend this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.