Making an old concrete pool sparkle

Apr 17, 2013
Kansas
Greetings to all, I'm new in here.

I bought a house with an old formed-concrete in-ground 25k gal. in the backyard. It has been let go for years but appears to have potential for returning into use.

I've been researching for a while now, and want to make this pool my "dream pool."

My dream pool would be something between a pool and spa, have a nice waterfall/diving platform, and will sparkle like the best and no smell of chlorine. Chlorine-free would be great, but from what I have read, a very difficult (if not impossible) task. I'm Zone 6 temp, USA, and would like to extend my swimming season with an effective water heating method (if possible). I would also like to do something imaginative with LED lighting. Perhaps a recessed strip lighting around the pool stone edge.

Obviously, I have a budget, but am capable of doing most of the nasty work myself and not afraid to make a reasonable investment. I'll be using blue/white quartz flagstone right up/over the pool, and will use this stone for my waterfall.

My dream pool is presently dug up on 3 sides to accommodate new plumbing.

My current ideas include:

1. pouring a concrete bench along the back wall of the shallow end and installing 4 spa-like wall jets for a nice water massage feature.

2. pouring a concrete foundation along the back wall of the deep end to build the waterfall/diving platform on. Perhaps I could make this 3-sided with stone, and install a service door on the back and keep my pump/mechanicals inside.

3. drill new supply lines into the pool and add one more skimmer at the opposite end of the pool, because it is on the north end (downwind). I have plenty of 2" schedule 80 PVC to use for plumbing.

4. add a good size variable-speed Pentair pump to handle all my pump needs with one pump. (good idea or bad?)

5. for sanitation, I was leaning towards a Pentair SWG. I was thinking to go with a sand filter using Diamond Kleen media to enhance filtering. I want to add the EasyTouch system so I can control/monitor everything through my iPad.

I've had several above ground pools over the years. In my experience, the best investment for any pool is to have as much circulation as possible. Water in motion helps for filtering and keeping water "well stirred." It will be easier for me to achieve and maintain my sparkly dream if I over-size my circulation needs (my philosophy).

As a final idea, I'd like to run some kind of metal piping manifold into a large, deep fire pit, running it also through a pump, to be my own version of a water heater. I'm curious if it could have an impact, or would it just be a bad idea. Anyone with experience here.... please advise.

Question 1#? Is SWG the way to go? I know most people in here are skeptical about ozone generators... but since I can custom-build my plumbing, is ozone viable? My thinking is the side effects of chlorine won't be an issue if I have a good circulation/filtration system because organic material will be at a minimum.

Question 2#? Can someone recommend a sanitation layout (pump size, # of supply lines, filter type/size, SWG size)?

Question 3#? Is there any merit to my "hillbilly heating" idea? I know I would want to be careful choosing metal pipe... nothing too corrosive with salt/chlorine.

Any general advice is heavily appreciated. I am in the middle of "pool school"... Can't know enough! Thanks to all who keep this site going!

Welcome to TFP!!!

First, I have no idea what Zone 6 means, so add your location to your profile.

We typically recommend having the smallest pump that gives you the flow rates that you need ... and at a minimum a 2-speed. With a waterfall and seat jets, the VS would give you the flexibility to adjust the flow rates. However, your belief that maximum flow is required is not really true. Many people run only on low speed for circulation and filtering ... infact you get better filtration at the lower speeds and it cost much less money to run at lower speed.

Private, outdoor pools do not benefit from ozone or UV. Those systems still require chlorine and chlorine alone will get the job done. There is a lot of reading about this in the forum. Bottom line, the active chlorine levels using are methods are typically less than 10% of that found in unstabilized public pools.

If I read correctly, you will have 2 skimmers? Best to run them separately to the equipment pad and uses pool valves to adjust where you suction comes from. Same is true for a floor drain if you have one. 2" PVC is fine for everything. You probably want at least 2-3 normal returns for circulation (could add a deep one in the deep end as well for better circulation).

SWG system should be size 1.5-3 times the volume of your pool. So if you are at 25k, look for at least a 40k system.

Your fire pit idea will not likely have an impact, you would need a forest of wood to achieve significant water temperature rises. You would be better off with a solar panel system and a pool cover.

I'd like to run some kind of metal piping manifold into a large, deep fire pit, running it also through a pump, to be my own version of a water heater. I'm curious if it could have an impact, or would it just be a bad idea.
Honestly, it's a bad idea. The BTU's required to heat a pool are enormous and you will basically waste your time and money trying to generate enough heat to be anything other than very marginal. Sorry.

I'll take your advice on the SWG and forget adding an ozone gen. My friend has SWG and his water sparkles and he boasts how easy it is to maintain once it is running correctly.

Yes, I'll have 2 skimmers. My pool is L-shaped, 36' x 18'. Thanks for the valves advice. It has a floor drain, too. I was thinking 3 returns.

Can you advise on a variable pump size?

Are you knowledgeable about the EasyTouch system by Pentair? I was thinking to match that with one of their pumps and an IntelliChlor SWG. I like the idea of monitoring from my iPad as I'm on it constantly anyways. Should help keep me focused on a stable pool.

I wasn't sure about the firepit. We'll have one nearby anyways, just thought it might do some good with a manifold but sounds like it isn't worth the hassle. The solar panels seem practical, and perhaps it can cool the pool, too, by running at night during the hot months.

Thanks for the advice! Zone 6... code for Kansas!

The size of the pump depends on what you are going to run at the same time ... seat jets + waterfall at the same time will need a larger pump. Pentail only sells 1 size of VS pump as I recall. There are a couple smaller ones from Hayward, but they may not be large enough for you.

You are correct that running the solar panels at night can cool the water.

You can find the solar panels and do a DIY install and save a good chunk of money. I bought mine used on craigslist. For a manufacturer install you are looking at $4000+, DIY can be done for < $1000 depending on the size of the grid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.