BBB and vacation

Jun 20, 2012
At this point my FC is dropping about 1 ppm per day. When the FC drops to 4 (or below) I bump it back up to 6. I see for my CYA level of 50 my shock level is 20. Can I bump it up to 20 and then ignore the pool for 20-6 = 14 days? Does the higher level of FC get consumed at the same rate?

Thanks, I could use pucks but am concerned about raising the CYA. It's now at 50 so apparently I should not go any higher. I'm curious to know the CYA and FC PPM rate per puck for 15K gallons.

You can use the bottom of the poolcalculator to tell you how much CYA and FC are added by each puck ... should be around 8oz of trichlor.

The FC loss per day is closer to a % loss, so the higher the FC, the same % loss is more ppm.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I have had several successful vacations using BBB - the key is to cover with an opaque cover while you are gone (cuts down on UV destruction as well as evaporation) You can use pucks (in a float if no cover) if necessary (just bump your TA/PH up to the higher level of the recommended range for using pucks before you go) and then adjust as necessary ASAP. Having someone who can check your equipment/water level while your gone JIC would be helpful too.
(my longest vacation was 11 days and I had a friend add a small jug mid-vacation)

Hope this isn't a duplicate - my last post appears to have not succeeded... My pool is free form and a cover doesn't seem like the best solution for me (shape and storage issues). I eventually will go PP or SWG (PP likely) but haven't gotten to the end of that analysis (which PP) so thinking about what to do if I have to leave town before I get either PP or SWG installed.

I see one 7oz puck will give me 3.2 FC and 1.9 CYA. If I need 1 ppm FC per day and am gone for 9 days I'll need 3 pucks and raise my CYA to 56. Would that level of CYA be acceptable? I see I am supposed to stay under 50 but at what point does CYA get bad enough that it needs to be removed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every pool is unique. I've run pools (inherited of course :wink: ) with CYA over 100. The levels drop overtime with splashout, backwash etc. High CYA levels really only become a problem if the relative FC level cannot (for whatever reason) be consistently maintained. In your case it's obviously a risk but honestly not something you should worry about till the CYA gets say above 70. Sounds like you plan to be attentive even though you can't be there during the week. Once the CYA gets that high - its hard for pucks to produce enough daily FC to keep the level up where it should be for high CYA.

To elaborate - it's not the CYA level itself - it's the problem that might develop if the FC drops too low (see the CYA chart). So if the pool turns green and your CYA is 100, its going to take a lot more liquid chlorine to kill the algae than it would if your CYA was only 40. That's really it. A CYA of 50 or 56 is no different (the test is + or - 10 anyway.

If I go with a chlorine tank/pump (15 gal tank) I'm guessing that this will last about 20 days. If I got into a situation where I could not manage the pool do pool service companies include the topping off of the tank with chlorine as part of their weekly service?

I would assume that you could work some kind of deal with them to have them do what you want ... assuming they actually use liquid chlorine.

Some of the companies around here use chlorine gas, so they may not have the liquid to fill it with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.