Pool pumps question

Apr 16, 2013
we currently have a Jandy pump with a PDA. It came with the home. The Jandy is starting to get really noisy (it is about 7 years old) and I was trying to research pool pumps. I like the reviews of the Hayward Ecostar but I am wondering if switching brands of pumps would be wise?
Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Our pool is 17,000 gals with a spa and roof mounted solar panels.
Thanks,
Montana :-D

What makes you want a VS pump? How high are your electrical rates? You can likely get most of the electrical savings by just replacing the motor on your existing pump with a 2-speed and then only use high for the spa, solar, vacuum and low at all other times for circulation.

The PDA likely is able to control a 2-speed easily, but I am not sure how well it integrates, if at all, with other brands of VS pumps.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thank you,
I have entered the info on my signature line...also new to forums
inground plaster 17,000 gallons.
Jandy canister filter, 127-150 flow rate (guessing...from the manual)
Jandy Stealth series pump 1.0 HP
(do not think it is 2 speed)
Pool built in 2005-6
Spa and Hayward automatic pool sweeper.
I am not a pool person and really have no knowledge of pools other that the fact that I inherited this one.
I am paying high rates for electricity and am hoping to change that.
Thanks again for any info.

Oops ... how rude of me to not say:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

So does your current 1HP pump adequately run the spa? If so, then stepping up to a 3HP VS pump seems like overkill.

Does the wet-end of the pump look fine? (anything except the loud motor) If so, then a motor (2-speed) replacement would be the cheapest option and allow electrical savings.

How long are you currently running your pump?

Are there any labels on the filter that give a size as the info from the manual does not make it clear what you have.
Is there any other info on the motor that you can provide: model, service factor, etc

Put the CL460 in your signature for the filter. That is a good sized filter.

Now I am confused about your pump, signature says 1 HP, but you just stated a 2HP full rated motor???

Where do you live? What are the electrical rates?

Either way, cheapest option is replace the motor only and have a switch to select low/high speed.

When I looked up the pump by the model # it stated 1.0 HP, but the tag on the pump says 2.0 HP
We live in Oceanside, CA. I pay alot on the 2nd to the 4th tier for energy.
I'm not looking for the cheapest, but the most efficient solution to my high elec costs

Well, if all you want is the most efficient, then get one of the VS pumps. If you have rebates available, then that will certainly help you eventually cover the extra initial expense.

A new 2-speed motor would likely be around $350. A new VS pump will be around $800+. If you have the rebate available, and does not require you to buy and install through a specific dealer, then you may save $200 on the VS.

So, hard to say how long it would take to recoup the extra $250-$450 that the VS costs over the 2-speed motor (which could save a good chunk of power itself over what you have by running on low).

Well at a minimum you would have to do some PVC plumbing as the inlet and outlets are not likely in the same place.

I do not know what the PDA does and how it would work with a different brand motor ... so you have a Aqualink or something?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.