Inconsistant CYA test results from Leslie's and other store

Apr 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
First off, I ordered a TF100 Test kit and I'm waiting for it to arrive, so I've been having my water tested at Leslie's and another local pool store since opening my pool for the first time. (Just moved in last summer)

I had my water tested at Leslie's last week and they said my CYA was 100. So then I did a big water change (Don't know how big but I timed the garden hose run time at 6 hours :cry: ). Then I had the water tested at the other store and they said the CYA was 58, then I had them test it yesterday and they said 55.

Then today Leslie's said it was still at 100?!?!?

Where is there error here? Who's right? I don't want to mess with anything till my CYA is in order.

Thanks!

Re: Inconsistant CYA test results from Leslie's and other st

I wouldn't place much faith in the store testing, especially CYA. I had a store tell me that that a freshly filled pool had a CYA reading of 80. Bottom line - trust the TF100. In order to keep records for my pebbletec warranty (and partly for sport) I go once a month and have store testing performed by three different places. But, I always trust my TF100 readings for calculating adjustments

This is a classic example of why we don't trust pool store testing. At this point it's impossible to say who's right or if either of them are.

If you're lucky your water hose puts out about 8 gpm, so 6 hours would be about 3,000 gallons or about 10% or your pool. At best that would have lowered your CYA by 10% so if it was 100 ppm it would now be 90 ppm. My suspicion is that Leslies is closer to right showing still above 100 ppm, but you have no idea how much above 100 it is.

You'll have a much better understanding of all your levels once you get your test kit.

The CYA turbidity test is one of the hardest tests to run, and from what I have read here works best when done in the correct conditions by the human eye. The right conditions are outdoors with the sun to your back so the tube is shaded held so your looking down at it from about 2 feet above (your looking for the point when the black dot is no longer visible), thankfully you can pour the solution back and forth for several minutes until you get to just the right point. Even at the best of times there is still going to be about a 10% margin of error, trying to read it indoors under incorrect lighting and all bets are off, I can tell you from experience that it reads different outdoors when there is direct sunlight vs when the sun momentarily goes behind a cloud.

Isaac-1 said:
The CYA turbidity test is one of the hardest tests to run, and from what I have read here works best when done in the correct conditions by the human eye. The right conditions are outdoors with the sun to your back so the tube is shaded held so your looking down at it from about 2 feet above (your looking for the point when the black dot is no longer visible), thankfully you can pour the solution back and forth for several minutes until you get to just the right point. Even at the best of times there is still going to be about a 10% margin of error, trying to read it indoors under incorrect lighting and all bets are off, I can tell you from experience that it reads different outdoors when there is direct sunlight vs when the sun momentarily goes behind a cloud.
Good info, thanks
..this test has been driving me crazy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.