Salt level too high?

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
Just added salt for the first time to my new pool. I started with a 23000 gallon pool, with salt reading of 400ppm. According to Pentair, I want to keep the pool around 3500ppm, but anywhere from 2800 - 4500 will work. After consulting with the Pool Calculator, it said to add 597 pounds of Salt, which was fifteen bags. Thinking I didn't want to go over too much, I withheld a bag. After testing 24 hours later, using the Taylor Salt testing kit (not strips), I'm sitting at 4000ppm. Going back to the calculator, it says to empty 2900 gallons.

Do you think I should empty some water, or is 4000ppm not that bad for the equipment?

4000 should be fine. It will slowly come down due to backwashing and splash out.

It is more important what the IC40 thinks the salt level is. Circulate for 24 hours before turning it on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.