Help, Pump went out

Apr 16, 2013
cabot, arkansas
first off this will be my 3rd season with my 1st pool. I have a 24k vinyl pool with 3 jets and 1 skimmer. with a 3/4 hp Hayward super pump with a Hayward pro flow sand filter ( model s244t ). the bearings went bad in my pump so I decided to just replace them. unfortunately I apparently had a bad leak on the wet end of the motor and the endbell is trashed :( . this brings me to my question . I originally thought I would just get a replacement motor for the 3/4 hp super pump. ( service factor of 1.0 btw ) but today the guy across the street told me he is filling in his pool he has a 1hp super pump II (service factor of 1.5 ) that he just bought last year. he told me I could have the pump for $100. would this be a wise decision? and how much more energy would this use? I don't want to save a few bucks on a pump only to spend way more on my electric bill! any help is appreciated.

Jerry Joe

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE so that we may better offer advice.

The reason I ask is that if you have a long season, then your filter seems a little small.

While that is a good deal, it will certainly be using more power (Mark may be able to give a better idea of the relative costs to run).

Given no apparent high flow needs, I would recommend a 3/4HP 2-speed motor, as running on low will save a lot of electricity. You should be able to get a new 2-speed motor and seals for <$300. The larger pump will certainly use a LOT more power than the smaller motor on low speed.

thanks for the quick response! i live in central Arkansas and i kind of thought the filter may be a lil small myself. i didn't know that I could use a different motor on the pump than the one that was one it. I did buy a GO kit for it so i already have the seals :). unfortunately i don't know that $300 would be in the cards right now. we just had a baby and money is kind of tight right now. but i will look around and see what i can find. i know i can get the same motor that is on there now for about 140. would that be a better idea than the super II?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.