Make an Intex pool last

Apr 16, 2013
Norfolk, VA
We are moving, re-leveling the ground, and cleaning out our 14' Intex pool. Any advice on how to maintain the structure of our pool so it lasts years and years is more than welcome.

We didn't realize how un-level the ground was until the pool was filled last summer, so that is the first problem we are tackling. We are also considering upgrading to this saltwater filtration system: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... ct+Reviews. Our pool water turned green way too often last year. We have only been using the filter that was included with the pool when we bought it.

Last year was our first year as pool owners and we definitely slacked, and we plan to remedy that this year. Any advice on leveling the ground, maintaining the ground surrounding the pool, and upgrading the filter would be helpful. Thanks :)

Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not too familiar with Intex line, but that link does not appear to actually have a filter. That looks like just the salt water system. Having this system
will not necessarily keep your pool from going green if you are not testing and monitoring your water.

I would suggest reading Pool School (button at upper right) a few times to understand the chemistry and then order one of the recommended test kits. With that knowledge and the kit, you can maintain clear water with or without the SWG.

From what I have read, upgrading the filter to the Intex Sand filter might be a better first investment, but will let others chime in.

Thanks Jason. I will check out the pool school link. Yea, the saltwater filtration system link I posted does say it needs to be used with the cartridge filter system we have now. It would basically eliminate us needing to use shock and chlorine tabs. We do have a test kit we bought last year with the pool. If anyone has experience with a saltwater system like the one I posted I would love to know more about it.

If you read Pool School, you should quickly come to the realization that we rarely recommend the use of "shock" or tablets for pool maintenance ... they raise the stabilizer (CYA) to levels which require higher levels of chlorine to prevent the water from turning green ... likely the problems you have been having.

We have many members who use that SWG system ... but it is not a cure-all. You still need to understand the chemistry and use a GOOD test kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Welcome to tfp, kcrowe84 :wave:

The link you posted is the swg that I am using on my 11000 gallon pool. I have used it for 3 years. One problem you might have is that the swg needs good flow rate to function. The first year I used my intex saltwater chlorine generator (swg) was with a intex pool that had the stock filter system. It could just barely move enough water to keep the swg flow switch activated. As the filter got dirtier, the flow rate decreased enough to cause the swg to stop functioning. It required cleaning the filter daily...which as you know, isn't fun.

Thanks. We have a very basic set up right now and are prepared to invest whatever is necessary to make this pool last. What would you suggest as far as upgrading the cartridge filter to ensure adequate flow rate?

And yes, cleaning those filters is not fun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kcrowe,
Invest in a good sand filter & pump. I've had several Intex pools, and ditching the pump that comes with it was the BEST thing I've done. I've not looked at the Intex sand filters. Once I realized they were selling junk and calling it a filter on an otherwise acceptable pool, I decided I wasn't going to buy one of theirs. Around that same time I was at the pool store, and an older guy there recommended I get a sand filter. I'm on my 3rd year with it, and love it. I've not bought a paper cartridge since. It was $200, but to me it was worth it.

Level it, get it perfect, set it up & fill it, put some stabilizer in it, start putting bleach & whatever else you need in, and enjoy it! (BTW- I'm in VB)

jblizzle said:
If you read Pool School, you should quickly come to the realization that we rarely recommend the use of "shock" or tablets for pool maintenance ... they raise the stabilizer (CYA) to levels which require higher levels of chlorine to prevent the water from turning green ... likely the problems you have been having.

We have many members who use that SWG system ... but it is not a cure-all. You still need to understand the chemistry and use a GOOD test kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
What he said. Most important thing you can learn from being on this site and reading Pool School.

I had always had small Intex pools when the kids were little. I would have a float with a puck in it, but never did anything with testing. We would completely dump and refill several times a summer since they were such small pools.

Last year, we put up the 22' Intex. It came with the 2650 gph cartridge filter and I bought the SWG system. I read Pool School and read a lot here on the forum. With the knowledge gained here, I purchased the recommended test kit, filled the pool the day after Memorial Day, used bleach for a few days until I could run the SWG, and never had to do a thing other than my daily testing until I closed it in October. When I closed, I used bleach to bring it to shock level, drained it below the skimmer and covered it up. It is now uncovered, a bit of debris on the bottom, but the water is crystal clear.

The 14' Intex probably comes with the smaller pump/filter. The 2650 gph cartridge filter works very well with the SWG for flow, but obviously it isn't the greatest filtering. I plan to upgrade this year with a sand filter, but I never had a problem with low flow rate for the SWG with the 2650 gph unit.

Again, read Pool School and relevant threads here in the forum, get the recommended test kits (it's a lot of fun testing the water, my kids do it,) and you will enjoy a trouble free pool. I had 0 knowledge on pool maintenance and with the knowledge gained here, didn't have a single problem all summer long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.