Odd water squirt from Hayward SuperPump/S244T

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
I opened my pool and got all ready for the season this past weekend. Was my first open myself after self closure. All went great thanks to you all and this forum. Odd thing is occurring for the first time. When I transition from hi to low on my Hayward Super Pump (1HP 2SP), I get a squirt of water out the side of the clear plastic lid going to the basket on the wet side. I shut down and reseated and tightened, but it is still doing it. I don't appear to be getting any air infiltration as there are no bubbles or noise, but when i go from hi to low it is like there is extreme back pressure.

Any thoughts? I didn't see any place for a gasket other than the amber plastic lid and the top of the black plastic housing.

Thanks,

Ted

Does that model have the 2 screw down posts on the sides of the lid? And is it squirting out of the front / back of the lid?

Mine old pump did that every time it turned off. Never had any air being sucked in. Chalked it up to "normal" since it never caused a problem.

I am guessing you would see the same thing if you just turn from high speed to off.

Sounds like you can't release air from the filter, then. Most are located as an assembly with the pressure gauge. The high-off-low sequence would confirm air is building in the filter....it would show the same symptoms.

If it doesn't bump water back out when you do this, then it can be attributed to the sudden change in water velocity and I doubt there would be an easy fix for that. Although simply changing the o-ring on top of the pump basket might do it.

I have the same filter and replaced the motor on my super pump with a two-speed motor about three years ago. My basket lid also squirts when the motor goes to low speed -- at this point I consider it normal. My automation is set up such that it goes from high to low once per day. The only problem I've noticed is that the lid gasket stretches out after awhile and has to be replaced (I only open the pump once or twice a year, so I am not sure how long that takes). You might want to get an extra to have on hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.