PH Reagent conversion

poolhound

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2008
Elgin, SC
I mistakenly purchased a bottle of Taylor PH reagent R-0004 instead of R-0014. The R-0004 must be for a larger test sample than used for my R-0014. Does anyone know what size test sample is used for the R-0004 reagent? I hate to throw anything away and I'm very cheap.

44 ml. The colors on the smal comparator that the R-0014 uses are not exactly the same as the ones on the large comparator that R-0004 uses but they are fairly close. You can also order the large comparator for the 2000 series testkits from Taylor as an alternative. It'a about $9-10. There are three of them, one for the FAS-DPD kit (9058), one for the DPD high (9056), and one for the DPD low (9057) but the pH section is the same in all three. The one for the FAS-DPD test costs slightly more than the other two but if you are only interested in measuring pH then any of them are fine.

Thanks Waterbear. Remember I said I'm cheap. I calculate that I can use the 25ml mark on the test vial to estimate 26.4ml and use 3 drops of the R-0004 to get the right proportions or make a 44ml mark on the test vial and use 5 drops. Is my thinking correct?

Not really. You need ot use 44 ml and 5 drops. Remember, that the Taylor reagents include chlorine neutralizer so using more or less will have some effect on the pH of the sample. Also remember that the color comparator for the two different reagents is NOT the same so, while you can get an idea of where your pH is it is not going to be exact. For the price you paid for the boot of R-0004 my Suggestion is to bite the bullet and get yourself the proper pH reagent (less expensive) or get the proper comparator (more expensive unless you bought a BIG bottle of pH reagent!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.