Good deal on Pool Salt!! Added Store... duh!!

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
Not sure if this is even appropriate to post... but since I figure the season is starting, why not post a good deal when I see it. I imagine a lot of people will be in the same boat as me, which is starting up a new pool with salt for the first time, or converting to salt this season. So, while getting a few gallons of Synthetic motor oil for my car at "WALMART", I wandered past the garden section and noticed the price of Morton Pool Salt was $5.97. The HD and Lowes in the neighborhood both sell it for $7.15 per 40lb bag and the pool stores are over $8.00 per bag. When you multiply it by 15 bags, you at least have enough for a 12 pack of your favorite beverage!! For reference, I purchased at the Glendora, CA store.

Ready to get dumped in!!
29wlpas.jpg

Re: Good deal on Pool Salt!!

You likely could have saved a little more money by just getting the regular solar salt. The only difference is that the "pool" salt is processed through a grinder to make the pieces smaller so they dissolve faster. I have found that the solar salt will dissolve within 5 minutes with a little brushing, so that little amount of time is not worth the extra cost.

That is the best price I have seen on the "pool salt", but I think the solar salt around here is still slightly less.

jblizzle said:
You likely could have saved a little more money by just getting the regular solar salt. The only difference is that the "pool" salt is processed through a grinder to make the pieces smaller so they dissolve faster. I have found that the solar salt will dissolve within 5 minutes with a little brushing, so that little amount of time is not worth the extra cost.

That is the best price I have seen on the "pool salt", but I think the solar salt around here is still slightly less.

That was originally what I was planning on using... but then I read a few posts that people had found rocks or other ocean type contaminants in the Solar Salt. I imagine the purity of the salt has a lot to do with the region it is collected from, so quality varies. This was just for people that no matter what you say, will not use a product that does not say "Pool" in big letters. For me, the price brought it within range of the Solar Salt, so it was a no brainer to just get the "pool" stuff.

Did I miss it, or is the store missing in your post?

I normally buy Solar Salt at Lowes, which used to have the best price. However, I was at Lowes today and couldn't find Solar Salt anywhere......only pool salt. Oh well, I needed a bag and didn't feel like driving around, so I bit the bullet and bought pool salt. First time I've done that since 2006.

Edit: well, Lowes website still shows Solar Salt at $3.97...and available at my store, so they must have hid it somewhere! I should have known....they've done this in the past (moved the Solar Salt around the store)

Here is a hint for those of you that buy solar salt at Lowe's or Home Depot. Order it online and for delivery say "pick up at store". It will all be sitting on a flatbed cart when you get there. Makes picking it up a whole lot easier, and you don't have to worry about if they have it or not. Saved me a ton of work when I picked up my very first load, and it's still pretty useful when I need to go get 5 bags.

RobbieH said:
Here is a hint for those of you that buy solar salt at Lowe's or Home Depot. Order it online and for delivery say "pick up at store". It will all be sitting on a flatbed cart when you get there. Makes picking it up a whole lot easier, and you don't have to worry about if they have it or not. Saved me a ton of work when I picked up my very first load, and it's still pretty useful when I need to go get 5 bags.

Totally agree....I did this for some other items just last weekend, but in this case forgot!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.