20x40 inground renovation

Apr 15, 2013
Hi guys. I've been lurking for awhile, trying to learn what I can, but I have a question about something I found on my 1974 20x40 pool. I have recently started the prep work for the plasterer to come in, which involves as you know draining and in the pool. It's around half full of water,
well if you can call it water. I am slightly nervous about popping the sucker up when I totally drain it. It seems like there is some sort of large diameter
access pipe alongside the one end of the deep end. I was covered with a slotted grate, which in turn was hidden beneath a deck around the pool. It seems to be filled almost entirely with dirt.

What is this thing? A sump to lower the water table?
If so how would I clean it out?

Thanks
Craig

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 266
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 265
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 266
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

How deep is the pipe? Looks like it is there to allow you to see the depth of the groundwater. And also could be a place for you to put a sump pump to remove the groundwater while you have it drained.

Thanks for the welcoming!
The pipe is filled very close to the surrounding grade, so I'm not sure a sump pump would work at the current depth.
I just have to figure out a way to clean/dig it out... anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

Craig

I believe it is a wellpoint. It is used to lower a submersible pump into and then pump out the groundwater. If it's deeper than just a foot or so, I am almost sure it is.

Assuming it is a wellpoint, you need to get a submersible pump and lower it down and get that groundwater lowered. Be thankful it's there.

I am very thankful I have it, but the only problem is that it is filled with dirt up to within a foot of the surrounding grade. There seems to be no standing water in it, but I feel for it to work properly as a well point it would need to be deeper. Might try a post hole digger and see if I can't get it down a least another 4 feet.

Harleysilo,
That's a really great idea. I'll let you know how it goes!

I feel very fortunate that we were able to scoop this property up,
needs some TLC, but I am excited for the outcome.

Craig

Alright guys,

I was able to dig the sucker out with a post hole digger to within 10 inches of the depth of the pool.
There was just a wisp of standing water at that depth, and we had a pretty substantial rain late last week.
Check out the attached photo for the after photo. I'm thinking I should be okay to go with draining the pool,
I'll keep an eye on the well to make sure it doesn't fill with water.
Thanks for the advice!

Craig

Attachments

• photo copy 7.JPG
    photo copy 7.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 206

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright guys,

I need some more advice, this time on skimmers.
I currently have one skimmer, which I'm looking to replace. I'm also toying with the idea of adding another skimmer on the opposite side of the pool.
My problem is that being a block construction pool, I can't seem to find a skimmer with a long enough throat. I need one in the 13" range.
Could someone point me in the direction of a brand that would work? Maybe with extension(s)? Or would it be possible to use a model designed for
a vinyl pool?

Also, I need to replace my 4 wall returns, they are rusted almost entirely shut. Anyone have any experience with EZ-Inlet returns?

Thanks!

Craig

Attachments

• photo 1 copy.JPG
    photo 1 copy.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 140
  • photo 2 copy.JPG
    photo 2 copy.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 140
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.