Just Opened

Feb 16, 2012
Winston Salem NC
Just opened up the pool Saturday and it was a "little dirty". A little info on "the closing".

I never really closed it down. I installed the Safety Cover (with mesh drain panel) and set the pump to freeze protect. The water was below 60 degrees as I procrastinated until December!

Anyway... I took the cover off Saturday and the pool looked a little "green". The water temp was 58. I brought the chlorine up to shock level (actually above as I mis-read the pool calc.) and have maintained it there. I made sure the SWG was off and did my OCLT and lost 1ppm. I have also checked CC and it is 0. I have maintained shock level, and then cleaned the filter last night (first time it has ever been cleaned) as the pressure was up some (but not yet to the "clean mark"). I woke up this morning and the pool looks about 90% back to normal.

Im not woried about having to do the shock process or it being a little "dirty" when I uncovered it, but more curious if this is common and should I expect this process to be pretty similar each year.

My wife was worried... she thougth we were going to have to swim in a dirty pool. I just laughed and went to get some bleach. Thanks for the info over the last year guys..... I went right to work and never worried!

I would expect a bit of "dirty" water with a mesh cover. But with a solid cover you can easily dump all the remaining leaf gunk into the pool when removing it, that will make your water look dirty too. Most years I've opened and let some dirt fall off the cover into the pool. This year I used a bucket to remove the remaining water on the cover. The prior years I ran the pump on high for about 24 hours or so and after a week everything was clear again. I also took FC to shock level and then let it slowly work its way back down.

With algae it will be different though, you will have to do the shock process (completely).

It's not uncommon, nor is it really a problem. Those who close their pools almost all have some variability in how it looks in the spring when it's time to open. Your's doesn't sound bad at all.

She was back to about 95% yesterday morning, so no worries here. I think by the end of the afternoon all was good, but without the sun (was cloudy) it was hard to compare it to normal. I did drop the pump speed back down and will continue to let the FC creep back down.

Well... I guess it truly is variable. Last year (as you can see from this old thread) I had a little cloudiness and fought a little algae when I opened last year. This year, however, this is what it looked like after taking the cover off and vacuuming up a few leaves last night. I tested the water, and all was in balance there as well!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.