What type of bleach to buy?

I starting buying Clorox at Sam's Club. 3-196 oz bottles in a case for $7.25. (Approx $1.60 per gal) Thanks to everyones suggestion here, I am now using Aldi's - always $0.99 per 3/4 gal. (Or approx $1.30 per gal). I will only caution you on one issue, check the lables. Some cheap bleaches are less than 6% concentration (I use 6% as a baseline because that is what Clorox is). When I think of bleach I think of Clorox. In short, approx 1 cent per oz for 6% is a good price.

Jeff

PS I check almost every store I walk through looking for a good "deal".

I had a similar thread a few weeks ago. After doing some research into pricing and what other people were using I have gone with Aldi's as many others here have. Other people who do not have an Aldi's have gone with other store brands such as walmart or the like.

On a side note, someone mentioned Chlorox now has an additive in their bleach which no one is sure what does, so it may not be as good a choice any longer - I forget off hand who posted that info, sorry.

Yep, plain unscented. I just went through over 100 gallons of bleach on my conversion from Baquacil; Sam's had the best buy around here, and 6.25% concentration. Just watch the concentration - I learned the hard way, if it's not listed, it may be 3%, which is just about useless (think Big Lots Sno-ee bleach).
And if you're using Jason's Calculator, you want to know the concentration of the bleach, of course. :)

Watch the date codes also, bleach looses strength as it ages, and is best kept in a cool dark place so it will stay fresh longer. The date code is usually in the format of YY DAY OF YEAR - PLANT CODE so bleach I might buy here in Louisiana may say 16 187 TX1 for 187th day of 2016 packaged for plant 1 in Texas. (Today is the 240th day of the year, so bleach packed on 187th day of the year is about 2 months old, I used the bleach bottle in my laundry room for the example, so it gets a bit less turnover than the bleach for the pool).

Go to the "PoolMath" link at the top of the page (or this link http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html) and enter the volume of your pool, what the free chlorine is now, what you want it to be, the strength of your bleach and the calculator will tell you how much to add.

You'll need to know what your CYA is to know what you want your free chlorine to be. Do you have a K-2006 or a TF-100 test kit to measure your CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I'll be darned, I didn't know Aldi had such a good deal on bleach. What percentage is it? I've been buying the great value bleach for $2.96 for just less than a gallon ever since walmart quit selling the $2.50/gallon 10% stuff. But my wife goes to Aldi weekly, I could recruit her to buy my bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.