Bleac

I am new . What type of bleach to buy.

Thx Mike
    Hydomatic Pressure cartridge Filter
    Prc120 HP 3/4
    18x33 oval above ground pool vinyl 19,600
    polaris

2. Back To Top    #2
    Plain unscented laundry bleach. Walmart Great Value is fine. Aldi has the cheapest, but they aren't everywhere.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I starting buying Clorox at Sam's Club. 3-196 oz bottles in a case for $7.25. (Approx $1.60 per gal) Thanks to everyones suggestion here, I am now using Aldi's - always $0.99 per 3/4 gal. (Or approx $1.30 per gal). I will only caution you on one issue, check the lables. Some cheap bleaches are less than 6% concentration (I use 6% as a baseline because that is what Clorox is). When I think of bleach I think of Clorox. In short, approx 1 cent per oz for 6% is a good price.

Jeff

PS I check almost every store I walk through looking for a good "deal".
    58,800 gal gunite INDOOR pool w/ spa
    automatic cover
    Jandy "stuff" - pumps, cartridge filter, aqua link
    CAT Controller 4000
    Stenner 30 gal (bleach) and 15 gal (acid)
    Puck chlorinator and Nature 2- gone
    Hi-Z Heater - natural gas

4. Back To Top    #4

I had a similar thread a few weeks ago. After doing some research into pricing and what other people were using I have gone with Aldi's as many others here have. Other people who do not have an Aldi's have gone with other store brands such as walmart or the like.

On a side note, someone mentioned Chlorox now has an additive in their bleach which no one is sure what does, so it may not be as good a choice any longer - I forget off hand who posted that info, sorry.
    Pool Details:
    - inground vinyl liner, approx 35,000 gal; Hayward DE-6000; Pentair VS3050
    - 600sq ft Heliocol; Blue Diamond; 8 Gal Liquidator
    - TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, plain unscented. I just went through over 100 gallons of bleach on my conversion from Baquacil; Sam's had the best buy around here, and 6.25% concentration. Just watch the concentration - I learned the hard way, if it's not listed, it may be 3%, which is just about useless (think Big Lots Sno-ee bleach).
    And if you're using Jason's Calculator, you want to know the concentration of the bleach, of course.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

6. Back To Top    #6
    Clorox regular bleach is just fine. Avoid the newer plus versions and the outdoor bleach, all of which have additional things added to them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Just found the post from ChemGeek re Clorox on this forum which references another as well. It appears as of yet no one really knows if this additive is good or bad. My vote is stick with the cheaper generics unless proven otherwise, spend the extra money on gas .

edit: attempt to fix url's...just a newbie
    Pool Details:
    - inground vinyl liner, approx 35,000 gal; Hayward DE-6000; Pentair VS3050
    - 600sq ft Heliocol; Blue Diamond; 8 Gal Liquidator
    - TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: What type of bleach to buy?

Okay, I'm up for using bleach instead of the pucks, but with a 14,000 gal pool, how much do you put in?
    I have a 24' round x 52" high 14,600 gallon pool. I use a Hayward DE 1 HP filter and I use 3" chlorine tablets in my skimmer. I live in Hudson, Ma where the temps have been all over the place lately (low 70s one day to upper 90s another day (go figure...)

9. Back To Top    #9

Watch the date codes also, bleach looses strength as it ages, and is best kept in a cool dark place so it will stay fresh longer. The date code is usually in the format of YY DAY OF YEAR - PLANT CODE so bleach I might buy here in Louisiana may say 16 187 TX1 for 187th day of 2016 packaged for plant 1 in Texas. (Today is the 240th day of the year, so bleach packed on 187th day of the year is about 2 months old, I used the bleach bottle in my laundry room for the example, so it gets a bit less turnover than the bleach for the pool).
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Go to the "PoolMath" link at the top of the page (or this link http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html) and enter the volume of your pool, what the free chlorine is now, what you want it to be, the strength of your bleach and the calculator will tell you how much to add.

You'll need to know what your CYA is to know what you want your free chlorine to be. Do you have a K-2006 or a TF-100 test kit to measure your CYA?
    19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Well I'll be darned, I didn't know Aldi had such a good deal on bleach. What percentage is it? I've been buying the great value bleach for $2.96 for just less than a gallon ever since walmart quit selling the $2.50/gallon 10% stuff. But my wife goes to Aldi weekly, I could recruit her to buy my bleach.

20,000 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by dtracy55 View Post
    Okay, I'm up for using bleach instead of the pucks, but with a 14,000 gal pool, how much do you put in?
    Check out Ocean State job lots, they have 12.5% shock(bleach) for $2.99 a full gallon
    Use Pool Math to help you figure out as to how much
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

13. Back To Top    #13

Did noone else notice that the first 7 posts in this thread are from 2008? I think the info may be irrelevant by now. Anyway, use the calculator to figure out what the best deal is. And check out bleach in every store you go to, but watch the dates!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart