Running pool only off main drain?

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
We just reopened our inground pool. We haven't run it yet because our attached spa (that has a water spillover thing) had really bad nasty smelling algae, so we drained the spa. My husband is working on cleaning the surface of the spa because it appears to be stained. It almost looks like pollen got in the water there. Gross.

While the spa needs to be cleaned still, I'm trying to find out if we can go ahead and get the pool running without the spa. Would we just close the main drain on the spa and open the main drain on the pool to run it? We don't want to "try" it without asking first so as not to mess the pool equipment up. :) Hopefully that question makes sense!

Sure that should work. Make sure that you also aren't sending any return water to the spa. Occasionally we see a system where it is impossible to completely turn off the return to the spa, but they are rare.

DanaSC said:
Thanks Jason. Which type of algaecide is best to add? I remember there is one that has a certain ingredient we shouldn't buy but I can't remember which one.
Bleach is the best thing. Keep the FC level up to where it should be for your CYA level, and you won't need any supplemental algaecides.

If you insist on wasting money, look for polyquat 60. Avoid anything with copper or silver compounds.

We ran our original 40,000 gallon pool from 1946 to 1963 with only a main drain. Other than the lack of surface skimming, no problems at all. But retrofitting a skimmer was definitely a nice piece of progress.

So if your pool plumbing can be isolated from the spa, go for it.

We didn't use CYA back then, either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.