First algea outbreak using BBB in 4 years

Vapoolmom

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2009
Hi all, I need advise/ support. I have been a TFP supporter/ lurker/ learner for the last 4 years and have never posted, because I didn't need to until now! I feel like I am an advanced beginner with a fairly good grasp of the chemistry concepts.
Pool specifics: 18x36 grecian, vinyl liner, 3hp Emerson pump (I know too big, but here when we bought), sand filter, live in southwest Virginia.
Opened pool to light green as we had a huge windstorm on closing day and brewed "leaf tea" during the winter. Brought to shock, kept at shock level of 22, brushed daily, and now a week later still cloudy in the deep end! Color is milky blue and I can barely make out the main drain.

Right now: FC 28
cc .5
ph- not measured due to high chlorine
ta- 60
cya- 50ish (warmed to room temp)

So, about 3 days ago I increased shock level to 28-32 just in case I was misreading the CYA, thus not reaching the correct level.

I am frustrated now- Not seeing the daily progress I was expecting and wondering what else I need to do!!! Please advise, oh wondrous ones!! I will be forever in your debt! Thanks!!

What kind of filter do you have? Sand filters can take quite some time to clear up the water completely.

Have you done and overnight FC loss test?

How has your filter pressure been behaving and how often have you been backwashing/cleaning the filter?

Hi Jason, Good questions I should have answered in my original post. I have a sand filter, and the pressure has not been increasing as expected. Normal pressure runs about 15 and not much of an increase at all this past week, just to 17 or 18. I have backwashed several times, just to clear out anything that may have accumulated. OFCLT- 32 down to 28 last night. Testing with K-2006 test kit. Thanks!

You will probably be able to eventually clear the pool. However, with your equipment, it won't be easy. The pump is probably way oversized for the filter. It is way too big for your pool. You would do better downsizing the pump. The excessive flow rate reduces the efficiency of the filter because it just pushes the dirt through the sand.

Emerson is the motor maker. Can you see any pump manufacturer information on the pump such as make and model? What specific filter do you have (make, model and surface area)?

How old is the pool and equipment?

Hi there, Yes, I do realize the pump is oversized, but the previous owner wanted more ooomph for the attached spillover spa. Not likely to change at this point. We have never had any problem until now using BBB with terrific results!
Here is what I could get from the pump: Emerson HP 3 SF 1.15 RPM 345 Model: K63CXREPR
Filter: Pentair Triton II TR60 rated at 63gpm. Thanks!

The biggest problem is the oversized pump. The sand might be channeled and/or or the sand might be too low due to excessive backwash flow rate causing loss of sand every time you backwash.

If you feel like you're not making progress, and your sand is OK, you could try a clarifier. Alternatively, you could try a floc to drop out the suspended particles and then vacuum to waste.

Might also add a little DE to the filter, in order to catch smaller particles. Of course, you loose that every time you backflush.
Could there be ammonia due to the "leaf soup"? That would take a long, long time to break down. Much longer than other organics.
This is my 2 cent tip.

If you are determined to keep that pump and filter, you could probably make the system more effective by throttling down the output of the pump.

You would have to put a valve between the pump and filter and then close the valve partly to reduce the flow through the filter. Your psi will go up noticeably but you will actually use less electricity.

Short of that, open up the filter and inspect it. It may give you a clue as to the problem.

Last, as Jason said, it may just take some time to clear your pool.

Hi all, Thanks for the replies. I work until 2, so will visually check the filter this afternoon and see what's going on in there. Will post back with the findings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi there! Ok, here's what we've got. Opened the filter and the sand was not channeled, looked white with the usual small dirt particles on top. Sand level about 8 inches from the top ( I think)
However, now I'm really excited and optimistic. When I put the hose in to clean, EEEWWWWWW.
Lots of milky white stuff at first, then tons of bug parts, dirt, etc.

Hopefully, now that the filter is clean, we will see much improvement. Hit me upside the head- I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier! I guess that's why I'm a lurker/ learner and you guys are the moderators/ experts. Let's see what happens now........

So, a small victory for now. FC of 28 has been holding for the last 3 hours. Over the weekend, I was testing and having to add bleach every hour! I know this is not passing the overnight test and the water is not yet clear, but perhaps a small measure of progress. I will beat you yet, oh algea maker!! Mwwaahhaahha

Hi Butterfly, Thanks for the encouragement. It really helps when I am frustrated and questioning my progress. Looking forward to the morning and seeing what the pool water looks like and where the chlorine level is. Thanks again!

Hi Richard, Thanks for the tip. Yes, I do have a main drain and will rotate the returns down. Again, another idea I hadn't thought of but makes so much sense!!
The shallow end looks clear this morning up to the slope to the deep end. Still did not pass the OCLT, but cc was 0 for the first time. Yippeee. I know, I know, now it's time for the POP to kick in!

Good morning! Here's what we have now. Last night at 10pm, FC was 26 and tested 26 now at 6am with CC of 0. So, I assume I have passed the OCLT? However, the water is definitely not clear. I still can barely see the main drain. Do I continue to bump the chlorine to shock level, just continue to filter and wait? Thanks so much for any insight!

Keep the FC at shock level. We use that as a sort of insurance while your filter is doing it's work. Run your pump 24/7, backwash/clean your filter as necessary, brush often. You'll get there.

Ok, will do. I think I will also add some DE to the filter to assist. I love the sand filter, but this is taking forever! I just need to keep repeating the mantra of POP, POP......

So, I added DE to the sand filter yesterday afternoon around 5pm- enough to raise the psi by 1 from 16 to 17. I expected it to take a few days, but WOW when I went out at 6am this morning, the filter pressure was 30!!!! Yowzaaaaa! The pool also looked soooo much better. Definitely blue, not clear yet, but much improved visibility. Also, confirmed that I again passed the OCLT with chlorine level of 22 both last night and this morning and CC of 0. Wooohooo!
I backwashed, added more DE and will see what happens today. I am hoping someone else can learn from my adventure and I again want to thank all of you for your suggestions and advise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.