Best way to heat..

Jun 30, 2012
Boardman, Ohio
We recently ordered a Sharkline Matrix 24' above ground pool and all of the things that we will need. We have an installer lined up. We've spent countless hours in the backyard trying to figure out the best location, measuring for what size and shape deck we want to do, and discussing what fun pool toys we'll buy with my 8 year old who is beyond excited about this.

We definitely need to heat in some way. We live in northeast Ohio. Our home currently has a hybrid HVAC system with a heat pump and gas furnace combo. When we had it installed, the electric company locked our rate at a lower tier so at this point our electric is cheaper than gas.

This lead us to looking at heat pumps..but we worry about being able to extend the season here in Ohio with one. We are nervous about going with gas and having huge gas bills. We thought about doing something solar and gas in combination but just not sure that we have the right amount of sun for that either.

We're feeling overwhelmed by the heater decision. Every person we talk to seems to have some different opinion. We've been in an out of a few local pool stores and they seem utterly clueless about heaters.

Help us figure this out, please?!

If you have somewhere to put the panels then solar heat is dramatically less expensive than any other option and the clear favorite.

Heat pumps are usually only really effective when run in fairly warm air temperatures. So a heat pump can be great if you want a few extra degrees in the mid-summer, but gets a little iffy in northern latitudes for extending the pool season. As the air temperature goes down their efficiency goes down. You still get some heat but costs are higher and total heating capacity is lower. Gas is wonderful for heating for a special weekend now and then, but can get wildly expensive to use all the time.

We are in Minnesota so we probably have about the same weather you have. We have a gas heater as that is our only option (electric would be too expensive), I agree with Jasonlion that it can be very expensive if you are running the heater 24/7 in the fall. We only turn it on the day before if we plan on swimming. I let it run freely the first year we had the pool into September...it cost me 400.00 for just a few weeks. But on the other hand, it sure is nice to get into warm water...we keep our pool at 92. In August we couldn't hold the temp without a boost from the heater. Oh and a cover is a must if your going to heat, or you'll loose it all at night.

I wish I could speak to other options, but though my input on our experience would help weigh your options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.