Pump not sucking water and not priming?

earnie

May 27, 2009
I have hayward catridge filter pump system.
The motor kicks on and runs I can heard the sound but its not sucking water to the filter.
The water level is good and no debris in the skimmer basket.

After googling i thought the Impeller was stuck with debris, but it moves spin easily with my hand. I took a screw driver and still try to clean if something is stuck, but nothing.
Do i have to remove the motor and see for debris? or just replace the impeller or the ceramic drive shaft? or something else is going on.
please suggest?

Most likely is that You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system. Find that leak and your issues will be solved.

First thing I would check is water level in skimmer, then ALL your unions from suction(main drain/skimmer) piping and you pump basket lid o ring. If you took them apart for the winter and forgot to lube them you could be sucking air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.