Shame on me. Shame, Shame, Shame

poolmama67

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2012
Arkansas
After a wonder first season using the BBB method, I failed as a BBB member during the off season. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: My pool cover blew off and I didn't replace it. Now I have a green awful mess. I have an 24ft x 4.5 ft. above ground. I know the process to turn it back but I am wondering if it would not be less expensive to drain it. But I have a liner and I am worrying about liner shrinkage. Any suggestions?

Draining the pool is very likely to damage the liner.

Cleaning up after only one winter is not usually all that big of a deal. Get your levels right, remove all debris beforehand, and follow the instructions in Pool School and shocking will be over quickly. Algae dies easily when the water is coldish.

Agreed. I just went through this, albeit with a smaller pool. The issues would be the same though- uncovered & neglected over the winter. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting to get it back again. I have no idea what your cost for water is, but to fill mine last year raised the water bill $200 vs $50 in chlorine to clear it up. Either way, the pool still needed to be cleaned & scrubbed.

You used the BBB method last year so you likely have an understanding of what happened and what needs to happen next. Why risk the liner? Test your CYA, look up your shock level, and get the chlorine flowing!(and scooping, and brushing, and retesting...)

Well my pool is well on it's way to become crystal clear again. My husband doubted that I would be able to clear the pool quickly this year. He remembers the time and effort I spent last year, prior to finding this website. It has truly been a lifesaver. Forever a fan!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It happened to me too...we had some warm enough days in Feb/March for algae to take hold. I bleached it to kill the algae and had to vacuum to waste to get the dead algae out. I still have another run to go at it, but that is the best way after you screw up.

Looks like you're well on your way. That was almost fluorescent green!

I'm dealing with algae at opening the first time this year myself. We opened the pool too late this year and the cover looks to have been leaking some nasty water through it. On top of that, we lost some of the debris on the top of the pool cover into the pool when we were removing it... Yucko!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.