Paver deck base?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
In various quotes for paver deck around gunite pool, some vendors use crushed stone base and some use crushed concrete base. Any problem with the crushed concrete? I want to make sure it drains well to resist any freeze/thaw issues in the winter.

I have never seen the crushed concrete... my concerns was that it was more fines than chunks, and that it would not drain as well and give me issues in the winter. I saw some threads where people said their paver installer dumped a load of what looked almost like dirt and called it crushed concrete... got me concerned.

I am installing pavers around my pool now. I used crush and run which is a mix of fines and 3/4 and smaller stone. You have to have the fines in order to create a tightly compacted flat base for the sand. The deck will have to have the correct grade away from the pool just like poured concrete because after the polymeric sand is compacted in and set up you wont get much drainage thru the pavers. In other words most of the water will runoff like any other solid material therefore the drainage underneath may not be as concerning. Check out the belgard website, I think they have some details about installation.

The belgard dealer here told me to use 4 inch of crushed stone. I will be doing my pavers also, wondering if I need to slope away from the pool and use some type of french drain or not. I have 30 days to read up and learn more.

I am not sure if you can see well in these pics, but I used NDS Mini-channel drain. Kinda pricey, but it allows you to take off the grates to clean out drain if necessary. I have all areas sloping to drains or otherwise away from pool. My advice would be spend 80% of time on base prep and 20% on actual paver install and use a laser transit.

I am not sure if you can see well in these pics, but I used NDS Mini-channel drain. Kinda pricey, but it allows you to take off the grates to clean out drain if necessary. I have all areas sloping to drains or otherwise away from pool. My advice would be spend 80% of time on base prep and 20% on actual paver install and use a laser transit.

What kind of pavers are these?

What kind of pavers are these?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Very nice! I really dont think you needed the drain though. The sand and gravel base is a natural drain. We do patios here with almost NO slope and never had an issue with water runoff. Looks great though!

I also did the mini drain from NDS. The slope from the pool leads directly to my patio and I did not want water coming in through my patio doors. We get heavy rains during hurricane season. Compacted Caliche base and sand bed on top of Caliche

The guys I used to install prefer to is a dust or 1/4 down for final paver base on top the the crush n run and 3/4 down, he said for our area and travertine pavers he has seen the best results with this base layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.