Multiport Issue? All water is wasted with pump running

May 10, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Help! Went to backwash today after finally getting the water crystal clear (except for a thick coat of pollen on top) and noticed that my water level was dropping rapidly. Checked the waste line and sure enough, it was flowing out. I tried several of the different settings, but still all going to waste. Note: the valve is about 12 years and is very difficult to turn. I have not yet taken the cover off (been reading up on the valve and searching to see if others have experienced the same issue. Besides the cost, I'm hoping it doesn't have to be replaced due to all of the PVC lines that will have to cut, spliced, etc.

I just watched a video on the gasket replacement. It looks very easy. Guess it is time to go pop the cover on this thing and see how it looks on the inside. From what I have seen of these, it doesn't seem possible to have the volume of water that is wasting just due to a bad spider gasket. Stay tuned!

The "wagon wheel" (part that rotates in the middle of the valve) can be broken, increasing the flow rate, but that is unusual. You will know as soon as you have the valve open as any damage should be fairly obvious.

Wagon wheel looks pretty good. Gasket, not so much. There is sand and grit imbedded in it. This has scratched the body of the multiport and the sides to the wagon wheel. Now to try and locate a new gasket...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 26
It does appear that there is a section missing, but this is just the picture. I was unable to locate a new gasket locally so I ordered one online. In order to run the pump until it comes in, I put a cap n the end of my waste line. When reassembling the multiport, I remove all the grit, lubed the seals, and sprayed WD40 on the handle. It now spins easily! Amazing what a bit of maintenance can do. That and understanding of how something works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.