Problem with Chlorine Test

Apr 9, 2013
I added 41 oz of 8.25% bleach last night which according to pool calculator should raise FC to 2.0 from zero. This morning I did the chlorine test on a 25ml sample and even after adding six scoops of powder the water still won't turn pink. The other thing is that the powder just sorts clumps into the bottom of the tube no matter how much I swirl or shake.

I should add that at the same time the bleach was added, a gallon of acid was added, and 4 lbs stabilizer was added to the skimmer. The aerator and pump have been running all night

Any ideas?

Thanks!

The water did not turn pink because your have no FC left in the water. 2ppm could be gone very quickly if something is in the water.

What are the rest of your test results? How does the water look?

You only may need more than one scoop if your FC is very high., like well above 10ppm.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You should not need more than one scoop. Also a little clumping is normal. It almost never totally dissolves for me. If your not showing any Cl you might have something growing in your pool that is not visible yet. Was the pump running after you added the chlorine?

Sorry. Missed the part about running your pump all night.

Try using the overnight chlorine loss test.
Check the pool school on how to do this.
This should tell you if you have a problem like algae in the water,
Then You will know how to attack it.
With cya so low the sun may be burning off the cl during the day.

Just a thought.

PF

Personally, I would go straight to shock level, around 12 ppm of chlorine. Something is using up chlorine and you want to take care of it right now rather than risk it getting out of hand. It is probably something trivial, but but better safe than sorry.

There are lots of possibilities for what it might be. If you lost CYA over the winter there could be ammonia from the broken down CYA in the water that can occasionally take huge amounts of chlorine to clear out. Or it might be a touch of algae that you have already killed off, or algae that is about to get out of hand. There is no way to tell at this point, so I would go for safe rather than sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.