Composite/PVC decking (semi-ingr.)...what brands are best?

Apr 1, 2013
Long Island
Hi,

I'm not new to the forum but I think this is the first time I'm posting.

We had a semi-inground installed late last summer (18' x 33' oval - 4 1/2 ft and 7 ft deep end - custom liner -- one of these days I'll post pics of construction) Pool stands about 26-28" above ground.

So this year we're doing landscaping/decking.

We would like to put in a deck on half the pool - it will lead down to a paver patio.

Husband is building the deck, contractor is doing everything else (patio, sprinklers, landscaping, lawn).

Been reading about different types decking - I like the TimberTech the best but have been reading that some of
the TT styles have mold issues and the TT XLM is slippery when wet. [ETA: Not composite - PVC decking materials]

Pool is in full sun most of the day.

What types/brands of composite or PVC have others used for decking on semi and above ground pools around here? Anything you would recommend or absolutely avoid?

Am willing to spend a bit more to get better quality. I know that no deck is maintenance free - but looking for the easiest to maintain and safest to use.

Thanks !!!!!

Laurie

Re: Composite decking (for semi-ingr.)...what brands are bes

From my experience with TT it looks really nice and was easy to maintain but if its in full sun you need to wear flip flops because it gets extremely HOT....that's the biggest issue with any type of composite wood based decking that I am aware of...I'm going to be doing a small landing and set of stairs coming from a new door out of my house to the pool area here real soon and will be trying Wolf PVC solid core decking..looks real nice and was told it does not get hot :) might wanna look into it...

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

Re: Composite decking (for semi-ingr.)...what brands are bes

Thanks so much for the rec! I looked at the Wolf online - will definitely go check it out in person.

I think I mis-spoke - when I said composite - we are looking at PVC products...the TT we are looking at is a full PVC, not a composite. I definitely don't want something that is too hot!! thanks again.

Re: Composite/PVC decking (semi-ingr.)...what brands are bes

I used Guardian composite for my deck. Their cedar color is a nice light brown that hopefully won't get too hot. I recommend using the camo tool hidden fastener method. The boards are toe nailed in, no visible deck screws, boards spaced perfectly 3/16" apart. Its also the cheapest of the hidden fastener systems.

All Composite gets Hot in full sun. If you google any Big Names you will find issues, most of them are due to installer error, but they want to blame the Manufacturer.

Good luck I think most of them are fine as long as they are installed correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yes make sure you follow exact specs of the Manufacturer. Some things I have seen are not leaving a big enough gap between boards, this can cause Cupping. Also depending on the thickness of your product you may need closer joists. In addition I have seen folks put the boards Diagonal, when you do so the joist have to be even closer or you will get some flex. If you do not follow the requirements for fastners it can also bow or cause cupping.

The biggest issue with Composite is it scratches easy, do not put any furniture with feet that will easily scratch it, do not drag stuff over it. If scratched it is more than likely permanent. The other issue is it gets Hot.

Use the Hidden Fastners from the Manufacturer and it spaces it our for you, usually the spacing is more than for wood decks. You would be surprised how much it expands and contracts.

I would use Composite all day long over wood, if I built a deck today I would do Composite with a Vinyl Handrail.

Good Luck!!!!

ok, all of that I knew so i feel ok, but I appreciate the advice. I've done a few cedar decks and I always use hidden fasteners to keep the spacing the same. I also did a diagonal board deck once and know all about issues with joist spacing. For this deck though i'm not going to do diagonal.

The scratching worries me a bit but i think i can live with it. I'll just be sure to get something to put on the bottom of chairs, etc.

If you are careful scratching will be limited or none. It is the people that drag a heavy table and wonder why it scratched that is annoying.

Good Luck!!!

The deck surface does get hot. I would say it's equivalent to hot sand on the beach. Like Carnut said, scratching can be a problem. Heat from fire pits or grills can also be an issue. The heat can melt the surface of the board. Definitely follow the specs. TimberTech has a large document that goes over the install procedures. I think I narrowed it down to five or six important things to remember, like pre-drilling when you get close to the edge of a board, how far the board can overhang without support, and joist spacing, etc.

I did a lot of research and capped composite seems to be the ticket right now. Here is my parts list for the decking and railing.

TIMBERTECH EARTHWOOD TERRAIN 16' DECKING, BROWN OAK GROOVED
TIMBERTECH EARTHWOOD TERRAIN 20' DECKING, BROWN OAK GROOVED
AZEK 1/2"X8"X12' RIM JOIST COVER, WHITE
AZEK 1/2"X11 3/4"X12' RIM JOIST COVER, WHITE
CONCEALOC HIDDEN FASTENER
SPLIT STOP BUILDER PACK 8X2 1/2", DARK BROWN,
TREX TRANSCEND 39" POST SLEEVE, WHITE
TREX TRANSCEND POST SKIRT, WHITE
TREX TRANSCEND FLAT POST CAP, WHITE
TREX TRANSCEND 67.5" UNIVERSAL TOP/BOTTOM RAIL, WHITE
TREX TRANSCEND 67.5" CROWN TOP RAIL, WHITE
SOLUTIONS 32" ROUND BALUSTERS, BLACK 10 PK
TREX TRANSCEND 6' INFILL KIT FOR ROUND BALUSTERS, WHITE
TREX TRANSCEND 6' STAIR INFILL KIT FOR ROUND BALUSTERS, WHITE

Lschaefer67 said:
Thanks I will look at that as well! Husband definitely wants to do a hidden fastener system. Thanks again

Ok, to actually answer your question with no mention of composite :mrgreen:

I wouldnt use composite either, use PVC.
Look at Azek PVC decking. I have it on my porches. Hidden fasteners look really nice. It's pricey, but you will never have to do one thing to it ever.

HI everyone, thanks for all of the replies.

We ended up going with a TimberTech product (Earthwoods Evolutions) with TT railing. Husband is putting the deck up now and I am in love with the product and the look of it.
The decking definitely DOES get hot. You can't sit directly on the deck comfortably and it's nice to have flip flops when walking on the surface (and we've only have 80 degree days here so far).

Once I figure out how to post pictures and all of that I will be sure to share. Next onto landscaping and patios!

Thanks again,
Laurie

ctcahoe said:
Laurie,
I just built a deck with TimberTech decking and Trex Railing. I went with the TimberTech Earthwood Evolution line and it's very nice.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151539680871600.1073741829.654851599&type=1&l=3d77f13dad

Forgot to say...your deck looks great. I love the colors you chose. I think we may have chosen the same base color but finished it in all black. I like the white/black combo, and white facing and risers.

Lschaefer67 said:
ctcahoe said:
Laurie,
I just built a deck with TimberTech decking and Trex Railing. I went with the TimberTech Earthwood Evolution line and it's very nice.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151539680871600.1073741829.654851599&type=1&l=3d77f13dad

Forgot to say...your deck looks great. I love the colors you chose. I think we may have chosen the same base color but finished it in all black. I like the white/black combo, and white facing and risers.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.