LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2012
Corpus Christi, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everybody. After last year's fiasco with the EasySet top ring deflating, we've decided to upgrade to an UltraFrame. My question is about site prep. I intend to leave this pool up indefinitely.

We live just west of San Antonio, TX. Our soil is hard and dry sandy loam, with San Augustine grass. Our yard was a farm field until 10 years ago, so it is basically level, but doesn't drain well. Therefore, I intend to build up, as I have seen done for the oil tanks at the oilfield leases I service.

Here's my plan:
1. Kill the grass with Roundup.
2. Build a square frame out of pressure-treated 2x4s, and use a sledge hammer to tap into the topsoil until level.
3. Fill the frame with sand.
4. Level the sand
5. Compact the sand with a plate compactor.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until the sand is compacted and level with the top of the 2x4s.
5. Lay down the ground cloth that comes with the pool
6. Install the pool liner.

Any suggestions, or things I may be overlooking?

As I said, I want to leave this pool up indefinitely. I'm ready to invest the time and money to do it right the first time, so that there won't be a second time.

Thanks!

You don't want that much sand. If possible use crusher run or something similar, which compacts and locks into place better than sand does, for most of the lift. Then put a half inch of sand on top of that.

My ultra frame sits on a bed made from the ground up of:
ground
sand (.75" or so)
1/4" foam insulation
tarp
Pool.

If I had to do it again, I'd dig a little deeper if I needed to when leveling, and not use the sand. It does shift & wash out. The 1/4" foam might sound thin, but it is better than nothing. I could definitely feel it last year, I didn't think to feel for it while I was vacuuming today.

Thank you both.

Jason, what is "crusher run?" I used to haul base, pea gravel, sand, and riprap, but have never heard of "crusher run." Maybe it goes by a different name down here.

http://mulchexpresssupercenter.com/Item ... _n_run.jpg
aggregate_crush_n_run.jpg

After taking a good look at the oil tanks at an oilfield lease today, I noticed they set their tanks on top of gravel, which is contained within a ring of metal that looks like landscape edging.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/16/52/27/38 ... 28x471.jpg

So I think I'll use metal landscape edging, instead of wood. But of course, I won't use gravel, I'll use " 3/4" Limestone Base," which is everything from 3/4" down to dust. I think this is the same as CR / QP. And I think I'll set pavers under the legs.

http://www.kellermaterial.com/assets/im ... e_34_3.jpg

Tried metal landscape edging, Col-Met brand from Lowe's - I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy. Very poor quality.

Took it back, and brought home landscape timbers, with corner braces and mending plates. Will try again on my next day off.

i would remove the sod completely and then level the ground using a lazer level and then spray the area with grass and weed killer followed by insect killer and then lay down a 2 inch sand base (mortor sand). don't forget to cut down the highest area to the lowest and then compact the dirt and after you level the sand with a straight 2x4 with a level taped to the top of it dampen the sand and tamp it down numerous times. also you will want to place concrete pavers under each leg or i used 3/4 inch treated plywood and screwed the plastic foot to the plywood so as the pool filled the wood moved with the legs........jmo.... good luck and enjoy......Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.