2 SPEED PUMP WIRING QUESTIONS - PLEASE HELP ASAP

Apr 13, 2013
So I just found a "great deal" on a used Pentair 2 speed 2HP pump to replace my pump that went out this week. I am new to pools, but have tackled many electrical and plumbing home projects. I really need help on this one.

The pump that broke that I just removed was a switchless Hayward 2 HP pump with a replacement AO Smith motor.
I did not realize when I picked the new one up that having a 2 speed pump with a manual switch meant 3 wires plus a ground and I only have 2 and a ground. Here are my questions.

1) Is there any reason that I NEED a 2-speed pump, or can I just use the high speed all of the time? If I don't care about the low speed option, can I just wire this pump with the two wires and ground that I already have running to the timer and then to the pump?

2) I am not sure if I have a 110V line or a 220V line running to the timer. How do I know if the knew pump needs 110 or 220? I I have heard that it needs 220, but also that perhaps I could run the new pump on a 110V line. Is that true or do I have to add a breaker and another line if I don't have 220V available? I can't find the wiring diagram for this pump motor anywhere online.

3) I read somewhere online that I would need to upgrade my T104 Instamatic timer to a T106 or a digital one in order to have three wires and a ground to the new 2-speed motor. If I only need to use the high speed, can I just stay with my T104 and not have to buy a new one? (I just replaced the timer about 2 months ago)

I am totally hoping that I can get this done tomorrow and end the Koi Pond phase of my pool, so any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much for helping out.
---Leslie :)

Welcome to TFP!

1) You want two speeds, as low speed will save you almost 50% on your electrical usage due to the pump. However, you do not NEED two speeds. You can easily wire it to your existing wiring connecting only high or only low speed to one hot wire and common to the other hot wire.

2) The new pump requires 230 Volts. All 2 speed pumps from Pentair over 1 HP are 230 volts. The chances are good that your old pump was 230 volts, as most 2 HP pumps are, though not all by any means. If you are currently wired for 115 volts, and nothing but the pump is on that circuit, you need room for a double breaker but otherwise can use the existing wires.

3) Typically a 104 and a 106 are used together when controlling a two speed pump. But personally I much prefer a manual switch to change speeds, which is also much less expensive.

Wow Jason...you rock. That was fast. Ok, so I want two speeds...got it. I don't have any double pole breakers in my box, but that is not to say that it is not wired to two seperate single pole breakers. I will do some trouble shooting in the morning and see what I can find.

So, if I have 220 coming into the timer, but only two wires coming out of the timer, what do I need to do? I agree that I am totally fine using the manual switch on the motor...don't need a special timer for that. If I can keep my timer, I'm psyched, just need to know how to come up with that 3rd wire...???

Can you clarify for me. Sorry to bug you on a SATURDAY NIGHT!!! :lol:

115 volts is normally wired black/white/green, while 230 volts is normally wired either black/black/green or black/red/green. In both cases there are two wires plus ground. So the number of wires doesn't tell you anything.

One way to wire up a speed switch is to pick up a SPDT switch with a high amp rating and preferably listed as good for switching motors, and if you don't have space already a box that the switch can mount it. Then add a wire to the flexible conduit from the pump to the new switch and a short section of rigid conduit (if needed) between the new box and the timer. One hot wire goes straight through from the timer to the common connection on the motor. The other hot goes to the middle terminal on the switch and high and low wires from the pump go to the two outside terminals on the switch. Ground also goes straight through to the pump.

OK so last question....I think. We have decided that as long as we are at it, we are going to rewire everything so that at last we will know what's going on in our electrical break out panel.....so.

1) Do I need separate breakers for my pool and for the polaris booster pump? And will they both need 220V? And how many amps?

2) Is #12 wire fine to use for both

3) Is there a way to run the wires so that if something happens with the main pump, the booster will not turn on?

4) I still do not understand how to wire the new 2 speed pump with my existing T104 Instamatic timer. I am fine with just installing a manual switch for the change in speed (not having the timer control that), but still do not get how to do that. Can you explain that in "dummy" terms?

Thanks so much for your help. This site is AMAZING!

1) You should have dedicated breakers for each of the two pumps. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they are quite rare. For voltages you need to look and see what you have now. Booster pumps can been either 115v or 230v.

2) That depends on the distances involved.

3) There is no easy way to be sure of that. You do the best you can do.

4) The more trouble you have understanding what I have said, the more important it is to hire an electrician. Line voltage electricity is dangerous, both to you personally and to your property (if it starts a fire).

If the motor already has a switch then everything is dead easy, assuming your old pump was 230v.

My pump also came with the switch. Hook ground to ground. One line to the correct pump terminal. And the other line to the center of the switch. There should already be wires from the switch to the low and high speed terminals.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thank you to you two for helping me. I was able to finish the job today...including a slave line to keep the booster pump only active if the main pump is on. I tried running a piggy back line to the slower speed and haven't nailed that yet, but everything else is working great for the first time in truly 3 years. Hooray.

So frusturated. I finished the job last weekend. It was wired with only one speed, but it worked great for a few days and now it pops the breaker as soon as it switches on. So...one last question before I give up and call a professional.

1) My motor has an internal switch so I can control the speed right there and that is fine. I currnetly have a T104 switch that is brand new so I would like to not have to replace it (I don't need the speed to be controlled by a timer). The power then goes to a regular on/off switch and then to the pump from there. I have my 2 power leads coming into my timer, How do I transfer that to my pump needs that are: Line 1 to the pump is common between speeds, Line 2 is for high speed and L4 is for low speed. I currently have only L1 and L2 wired and didn't have the low speed wired at all.

This seems like such an easy job, what do I do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am confused. So you have a separate on/off switch outside of the timer (which also has a switch)? And the pump van with a speed switch, but you are bypassing it? Did you disconnect the wires from the switch?

OK, so here is what I have
1) Two power lines coming into the T104 timer (220V) They currently run into terminal 1 and 3 (line 1 and line 2)
2) Two power lines leaving the T104 time from terminal 2 and 4 (load 1 and load2)
3) From there, the two lines go into a two way switch in a box about 6 inches below the timer box
a. The wires leaving “load 1” on the timer head into the “line” terminal on the left side of the switch
b. The wires leaving “load 2” on the timer head into the “line” terminal on the right side of the switch
c. The wire leaving the left “load” side of the switch goes down to the “Common” line of the pump, L1 terminal (the wire that is shared between the high and low speeds-currently a purple wire)
d. The wire leaving the right “load” side of the switch currently goes down to the “High” line of the pool pump - L2 High speed on the pump (currently this wire is black)
e. There is another terminal on the pump labeled L4 (this is the power for the slow speed) Currently, I have no power for this line---that is my biggest issue)
f. In addition, I do have a green ground wire that travel from electrical panel, through timer, through switch to pump
4) There is a switch on the pump itself that supposedly switches the speeds. It is wired in the back of the pump with yellow and white wires that are coming from L2 (high) and L4 (low)

What I need to know is how to get power to that L4 port. Also, if I can use the switch on the back as my speed selector or if I need something else. Also…..did I do something wrong that would be causing my current setup (with no low speed) to pop that breaker? It worked fine for a few days. Does the speed automatically change if the engine gets hot or something?

It seems like such an easy issue, I would hate to call an electrician after I have come so far.

Please help me again TPP! :0

Post a pic of the two way switch and give a make and model. Sounds like that switch is the problem. It has to be a DPST (double pole single throw) in order for it to work.
also post a pic of the wiring diagram on the motor data plate.

If it is the right switch then the wiring at the motor is wrong. You should have one wire going to a wire or terminal on the speed changing switch and the other wire going to the L1 terminal on the motor terminal board.

The extras manual switch does not sound right to me, but pix would help. Why do you need that extra switch anyway?

Also like was said, the speed switch should have been wired to the low and high terminals already. The your 2 lines go to the motor with one on the common terminal and one to the middle of the switch.

I'm trying to load the photos and for some reason the forum will not accept them. Not sure if I'm uploading correctly....

But on the back of the pump on the two terminals that say hi and low, there is a white wire coming out from behind the terminal of one and a yellow out of the other that both go to the switch. Since I bought the pump used, the three wires that I spoke of earlier from the common, the high and the low, were already attached and run through a flex conduit pipe. I just assumed that I would need to wire those. I don't see where on the switch I would run the 2nd lead line if that's where it is supposed to go.

Can you tell me how to upload photos????

Here is the photo of the wiring at the back of the pump.

Terminal 1 (at right) has a purple wire running through the conduit...this is the "common" wire

Terminal 2 (middle) has a black wire running through the conduit and a yellow wire going to the switch at the rear of the panel

Terminal 4 (left) has a red wire running through the conduit and a white wire going to the switch at the rear of the panel.

You can see the white and yellow running to the switch and there is a black coming out of the switch that has a plastic cap on the end. From the wiring diagram, it looks as though I just power terminal 1 and then the black wire at the switch. This makes sense, but when I bought the pump, it was used and already had the purple, black and red wire running through the flexible conduit and so I assumed that I needed to power them. Any ideas...

Also...a stupid question. How do I connect to the black wire on the switch with the plastic cap? Do I cut the cap off?

Thanks again for all of your help. I feel like I am ALMOST there, but if I don't finish tomorrow I swear I have to call in the pros. URGH

You suspect right. You should unhook the wiring from the motor terminal except the yellow and white from the switch and then hook power to terminal 1 and cut the cap off the black wire and wire it to the other power wire.
The original wiring was probably due to the previous owner had an external 2-speed switch.

I love you guys. You have not only helped me replace a new pump and motor, but you have given me confidence that I CAN MANAGE MY OWN POOL ISSUES. After taking this whole thing apart, testing each wire and running through everything 10 times over...I finally can say I GET IT! And I feel impowered to tackled swimming season.

I'm off to get the recommended pool testing kit now so that I can tackle the chemical issues that are bound to pop up this summer....not without your help of course.

YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!
---Leslie
Spring, TX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.