Changing Sand in filter, have questions.

Jul 23, 2012
Hey TFP, looking to soon replace 300lbs of sand in pool filter. Called around and prices are $12 per 50# bags. That seems a lot to me, since you can buy play sand from Lowes for $3. Which leads to this question, Could I use this type of sand. Also I see where some add pea gravel first, what is that about?

Lastly, what should I check and lookout for when replacing the sand. It is a Hayward side mounted multiport.

Thanks a lot,
Carl

Chances are that you do not in fact need to change the sand. It is very unusual that anyone ever needs to change their sand.

If you are changing the sand you must use #20 silica sand/pool filter sand, play sand will not work at all. Large filters use pea gravel to save a little money and to improve water flow inside the filter. With a 300# filter you really won't get much advantage from using pea gravel, though it won't hurt either.

Take care with the laterals when changing sand. They can be easily cracked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.