Questions about my intex

Apr 13, 2013
I have an intex 15' x 48" pool. I have upgraded to a 1hp waterway 100lb sand filter combo. I have also changed the return to 1 1/2 in and will be adding a widemouth skimmer this year.
Questions.

1. Should i put the skimmer where the old inlet was? Or should i put it further around the side and change the old inlet to a 1 1/2 as well and have two?

2. Are inline chlorinators worth it? and is this one good? http://www.poolsupplies.com/product...e&gdftrk=gdfV2589_a_7c692_a_7c2674_a_7c201960

3. I am looking into getting some kind of automatic cleaner any suggestions? I do not want something expensive just something to help me out as I work two jobs and have little free time.

4. My ladder is starting to rust, anyone know of a good replacement or where i can get the legs for the one i have as intex's site is down.

5. How often do i need to change the sand in my filter and should i add DE to it?

Sorry about all the questions i am trying to get a head start on getting what i need before i refill

Thanks

G

Welcome aboard! I'm not an expert by any means, so I'll keep my comments to what I have experience with.

I have an 18X48 Intex Ultra Frame. I also upgraded the pump & filter, details in my signature. I did not add a skimmer, I went with the fittings as it came from the factory. Last year I had good results, I expect the same this year.

Judging from what I've read online sand doesn't wear out, but it may eventually clog. Give it a good rinse and it should be good as new. The sand in my filter was 1.5 years old when I let it freeze, otherwise I'd still be using it with only an occasional backwashing. I've not added any DE as I've not seen the need in my pool.

I've found ladders on Craigslist, I picked one up for $10 once and it came with chemicals(before I knew better). Post a wanted ad, you might find someone with an inflatable ring pool that popped willing to sell their old one.

Before you refill, do you have a good test kit? I was lost before I had one and I didn't even realize it. I thought all pools eventually turned green & non responsive to chlorine. Now I know what was happening, why it happened, and more importantly, how to avoid it. (my pool turned green over the winter, but it was due to lack of attention on my part, and wasn't a surprise)

Welcome to tfp, Germando :wave:
Germando said:
Should i put the skimmer where the old inlet was? Or should i put it further around the side and change the old inlet to a 1 1/2 as well and have two?
Probably fine where the old inlet is assuming you can point the return away from it so you get circular flow all the way around the pool.
Germando said:
2. Are inline chlorinators worth it? and is this one good?
I would skip the trichlor feeder. See this poolschool article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool
Germando said:
4. My ladder is starting to rust, anyone know of a good replacement or where i can get the legs for the one i have as intex's site is down.
I would look for an all plastic one (CL is a good place).
Germando said:
5. How often do i need to change the sand in my filter and should i add DE to it?
The only reason to change the sand is if it does not filter correctly and you suspect the wrong sand or the wrong amount. DE is fine, but far from necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.