Teflon Tape or Pipe Dope - Plastic fittings?

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hi guys!

With the weather getting nice around here I am tackling some leaks in my hard plumbing. Specifically the male thread to female connection of my inlet to my pump / pump outlet to the filter / and the connection from the pump to the swg and the outlet from the swg. Basically, all my threaded connections. Awesome.

I had used teflon tape previously. Now I am considering pipe dope (after reading some of the previous threads on this subject) but on the pipe dope can it says not to use on plastic. Correct my if I am wrong, but isn't the hayward pump housing (black) plastic? As well as the housing for the intex salt water generator?

I looked in the hayward manual that came with the pump, but it was no help.

Thanks!

My plumber swears you have to use the pipe dope over the Teflon tape to lubricate it so all the tape doesn't get scraped out the threads on assembly. He is easily the best plumber I have ever used and I have never gone wrong with the things he tells me unless I forget to ask how much $ before he starts. I have been using a PTFE based dope over the tape for years now and have never had a problem. The one jasonlion gave you is a good choice.

Thanks for all the advice! I picked up some Oakey Great White and will tackle the re assembly tomorrow. I think I will use the great white by itself on the inlet and outlet for the pump, but I think I will try the teflon/great white combo on the intex swg inlet and outlet since they are the threads on the intex are such a funky fit to my pvc plumbing.

One question: the great white bottle doesn't specify how long I need to let it cure before use. Any suggestions from experience?

Thanks again!

Ready when I am sounds great! Thanks again to everyone for all the advice. I am so happy to be getting all this fixed, especially since last time I worked on the plumbing was on a 110 degree day. These mild spring days are far more forgiving on my mental abilities. Hopefully this means I will get it all right this time. :)

Dalandlord said:
My plumber swears you have to use the pipe dope over the Teflon tape to lubricate it so all the tape doesn't get scraped out the threads on assembly. He is easily the best plumber I have ever used and I have never gone wrong with the things he tells me unless I forget to ask how much $ before he starts. I have been using a PTFE based dope over the tape for years now and have never had a problem. The one jasonlion gave you is a good choice.

X2 This is how I do things. I've also recently been using some unions from custom molded products that are o-ringed male threaded x female slip. Any leaks that develop can usually be cured by a turn of the wrench.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice! We first tried the teflon tape / great white combo but the teflon tape kept getting gunked up with the great white. So we cleaned it all off and just used the great white compound and now......NO LEAKS!! Even the dread pvc to intex thread union is drip free.

Thanks guys!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.