Navigator doesn' move

hmm..I own a newer model Navigator, but I'm not a fan of it at all. They suck! Could be more than a few things including proper re-install of the parts. But, the main things are 1) proper suction (clear restrictions), 2)sand in the a-frame bearings (new bearings are funny) 3) gearbox (if you have opened it up, check the primary (small) bearing; also there is small plastic piece(can't remember if its a drive/secondary bearing) in the bearing housing; proper placement is tricky (find a diagram of your model? and look into that) and avoid opening the gearbox in the future. Good luck

I have one of the older Hayward Navigators. I got it at a yardsale for really cheap. But anyways, there are a few things to check. 1) Check to make sure the filter is clean and the pump basket is clean 2) If you have it hooked up to a skimmer with a leaf skimmer make sure its cleaned out and that the skimmer line is sucking. 3) Be sure that the valves are set either to the suction port or skimmer. 4) Check all of the cleaner hoses for cracks and be sure the connections are tight. 5) make sure that when you put it back together nothing is in backwards or mis-aligned. The turbine and a-frames have L and R for which side they go on 6) Check the bottom for anything that may be clogging it. Be sure that all or most of the suction is going to it. Turn off the main drain and skimmers if you have a vacuum port, otherwise turn off the main drain and have it connected to the skimmer. If you have 2 skimmers and cant turn them off seperate, fill a water bottle all the way up and plug one of them and connect the navigator to the other.

If the navigator moves fine off the bottom but doesnt on the bottom, then there is most likely not enough. What type of filter setup do you have, type of pump and filter? how many skimmers do you have? Is there a vacuum port? Main drain? Try turning off all other suction areas and direct all of the flow to the area the navigator is connected to.

Similar - new shoes, new wings, everything moves fine, boatloads of suction and it sits in place on the bottom. Have adjusted the little 'spring cam' to I, II and III - no difference. I can actually hear all the mechanical pieces moving just fine when it's stuck in the shallow end.
The flaps don't appear to have any wear on them at all but they're the only thing I haven't replaced. 2 sets of shoes and just did the wings for the first time this year. Has anyone got a picture of a set of worn flaps so I have a frame of reference?
I'm thinking of replacing them on spec because I can't think of anything else - my best guess is that the Navigator is actually 'sucking itself to the bottom of the pool' which is what's preventing it from moving.

Reactions: Aznewmom
GEM said:
my best guess is that the Navigator is actually 'sucking itself to the bottom of the pool' which is what's preventing it from moving.
Well, if thats the case, reduce vacuum pressure and see if it helps. Not trying to be a smarta*&, but i dont think theres much else left and I dont think new-flaps will help this issue. *Edited, noticed you changed wings already.

One thing that might be useful would be the suction meter that comes with the navigator. You can get one from the pool store or if you bought it new it should have come with one. It attaches to the hose to check how much suction you ate actually getting. My navigator is very old and when put in a plaster pool at completely full suction, it booked it. It even ran so fast that one of the a frames snapped. Definately get a suction gauge to see how much suctionnit really has and adjust it accordingly.

Solved.
Had the Navigator about 4 yrs. A couple years back it was repaired by our pool guys when it stopped working.....they told me they replaced some parts but didn't tell me exactly what. I'm pretty sure I know now.
Replaced the A-frames and it runs perfectly now. My guess - this is the 2nd set that have been installed. It appeared to be working properly when I held it in my hand underwater, wings moving, etc.....but it wouldn't run on the pool floor.
I'm including a couple pics - old and new A-frames and the part number of the package. You'll see that the rollers have worn down to almost nothing remaining and one roller is actually gone......so I suppose there are pieces of nylon and ball bearings sitting in the pool somewhere.

It took about 20 minutes, a screwdriver and a single nut driver. Don't know who the guy is but his YouTube video was helpful to understand how to remove the A-frames. If you're not afraid of holding a screwdriver this repair is not a problem - but you will need the nut driver to remove screws holding the A-frame in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9hiFQBthA

Hope it helps someone out there.

Attachments

• IMG00625-20130517-2154.jpg
    IMG00625-20130517-2154.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG00621-20130517-2132.jpg
    IMG00621-20130517-2132.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG00624-20130517-2134.jpg
    IMG00624-20130517-2134.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 66

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.