question on raising Ph

My pool water is clear the chorline numbers are fine. The pool is 18 ft round. The water volume is 7600 gallons. The PH is at 6.2. I want to raise it of course. I have put in the chemical PH raiser the that came with the pool. That has not raised the ph level. I read here you can add Borax to raise the PH balance. I stopped at WALMAT and bought a box. My question is how much should I put in to raise the PH to proper levels. We have had a lot of rain here in NJ where I live in the past two weeks.

Well, 7 lbs of Borax (roughly) would raise your pH from 6.2 to 7.5 BUT how did you get that reading of 6.2?

Most pool water tests do not go below 6.8.

I would not put that much borax in my pool until I had confirmed that pH from another source.

The amount of borax you need to add depends quite a bit on your TA. If your PH is really 6.2, it should be safe to add one whole box. Give it a few hours to circulate, and then test again to see where you have gotten to. If you post a full set of test numbers we can give you a more accurate estimate.

Since I last posted on this subject things have been fine. I have been adding Borax a few cups each week to maintain the PH level. PH was always at 7.2 or 7.4 We have had very hot weather and using the pool alot lately, PH was back down at 6.8. Well I dumped a whole 4lb box of Borax in tonight ran the filter for a few hours.PH shoot up to 7.8 and the chroline level went to below .5 I know this is pool 101 but how do I keep the PH up with not knocking down the chorline level

The pool is 18 ft round. The water volume is 7600 gallons

jacksonjohn1961 said:
Since I last posted on this subject things have been fine. I have been adding Borax a few cups each week to maintain the PH level. PH was always at 7.2 or 7.4 We have had very hot weather and using the pool alot lately, PH was back down at 6.8. Well I dumped a whole 4lb box of Borax in tonight ran the filter for a few hours.PH shoot up to 7.8 and the chroline level went to below .5 I know this is pool 101 but how do I keep the PH up with not knocking down the chorline level

The pool is 18 ft round. The water volume is 7600 gallons
The problem is that your TA is probably too low! Please post a FULL set of test results and we can help you. You need to be testing for more than just total chlorine and ph (which suspect is all you are testing for or you would not really have this problem to begin with!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I am using chorline pucks. Thank You
That's not helping. pucks are VERY low in pH.

Sun and organics reduce FC.......Adding borax is irrelevant.

I'd suggest going up into pool school and reviewing the basics and, as waterbear said, you'll need a test kit that'll tell you more about your pool. You should be able to test for pH, FC, CC, Alk, CH, and CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.