Polaris pb4-60 seal leaking

DeadAquaRite

Mar 29, 2012
My motor spun a bearing, so I ordered a replacement motor, new seals, and impeller (damaged removing it) . Assembled it all, water sprayed from pump housing rear seal. Disassembled and checked everything, and the stationary spring seal has a small chunk missing where it touches the impeller seal. It did not when I bolted it up.

Also, the volute housing seal tube seems to be about 1mm larger than the motor shaft, and I cannot visualize how that seals.

Any suggestions about what I am doing wrong? Or what caused the torn seal?

Yes, I will get some pics tomorrow. That said, I disassembled, cleaned, inspected, and rebuilt it on my bench. Trash would have to come from the lines.

I did hook it up backwards at first, perhaps it sucked in some trash?

As a warning to others, this started as a project to replace the bearings. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that if the bearing doesn't slip off easy stop and don't force it. I did and The bearing puller caused the threaded end of the shaft to mushroom just a little bit, ruining it. Now I have a new motor.

Replacing the seals fixed the problem.

Below is a picture of the first replacement that leaked. I cannot say for sure the divot wasn't there from the factory, but I fix pumps, engines, etc periodically and I would like to believe I would have noticed something like that in a brand new seal.

a6yhesez.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.