Pool Decking Recommendations

Feb 23, 2013
Hi Everyone:

I was happy to join this forum and hope I can ask for some advice and help. I recently bought my home and have been learning the ins and outs of pool care. I have had a new T-15 cell replaced for my Aquarite SWG and also had a suntouch connection and box placed for my solar water heater. My question is decking around the pool. I have included some pictures of the decking currently and I am wondering what is the best remedy for dealing with the issues in the attached pics. You will seem some staining and also hairline cracks and also some areas in need of repair on the decking. Is there a reasonable way to accomplish this or do I need to have the entire deck resurfaced to repair the holes and cracks and staining? Also, could someone give me an idea of what this might cost? I have included a picture of the full pool also as a point of reference. Thank you for any insight and help! Mahalo!

Attachments

• Pool Backyard.jpg
    Pool Backyard.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 432
  • Pool Coping.jpg
    Pool Coping.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 431
  • Pool Steps2.jpg
    Pool Steps2.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 430
ab08f064.jpg

Here is a picture of my pool. It's a vinyl textured surface over concrete. It is great for a salt pool, comes in many colors and will hide a multitude of sins. Relatively inexpensive. You can even imitate stone, or other surfaces (for additional cost). Here is a picture to show the texture before the color coat was applied.

cc99d466.jpg

The cracks are filled and patched before the texture coat goes on (see photos). Textured coat is mixed and applied with a texture gun, the "knocked down" with a trowel. It's the same process (albeit different materials) as is used for textured dry wall. Then a color coat is applied when the texture is dry. The color coat can be refreshed or the color even changed in the future. I recoated the deck after five years of use and it looked just like new. The result looks much like KoolDek but it is non porous and is much more durable. Textured vinyl over concrete is a very common deck surface in this part of the country, and particularly well suited to SWG pools. There are many manufactures and suppliers, for my deck I used products from Preferred Deck Systems.

http://prefdeck.com/

1bd1579b.jpg

96f38895.jpg

bd6c7135.jpg

The OPs deck looks like it may be an old KoolDek application that is peeling. If so you need to remove any loose or peeling material, patch any cracks then repair and fill in any missing textured areas, then it can simply be recoated with the vinyl color coat right over the old KoolDek. I watched one of my neighbors do that a couple years ago and it's holding up great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.