Drainable Trash Can

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I have several mature tulip poplars that overhang my pool. The cost to remove them is prohibitive at this time (8K each, :shock: ). To make matters worse, I will need to replace the skimmer plumbing lines since the previous owner dropped chlorine tabs which crimped the line. :hammer: In the mean time, I have to manually skim twice a day to fish out tree debris. In the past, I would dump the debris on the hill behind my pool, but this was futile because the piles would get large and my lawn forgets to clean it up and the wind tends to carry it back into the pool.

I've taken a trash can and put in a lawn bag and punched a few holes in it to drain the water, but the bag tends to rip. So, does anyone have ideas? I am not interested in composting, so something that drains the water so I can bag it. I wonder if I just dump the leaves in the can without a bag and then dump it into a bag once a week. Thoughts, ideas??

Thanks,
Karen

My suggestion was to get a few pallets from any store(free) stand them up (box shape) where you currently dump the debris and simply put a mesh net over them. They will degrade on their own and produce some great compost for the garden.
If you really want to, you could drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of your trash can and set it on a few bricks to let drain then dump in a bag.

Use a smaller trash can, maybe like for a kitchen or bathroom, with holes in the bottom to drain the water. When you go out to skim the pool empty the dried stuff out of the small trash can into your regular rubbish can and then put the new skim in to dry again over night and start the cycle all over again .The smaller can will be easier to carry and dump than a large one full of debris.

skeeter

Maybe the quantity of your skimming is too much for this method, but anyway, I usually use a leaf rake for skimming which has a fairly large capacity and then hang it up when full. So the next time I go to skim, I empty the now dry material and then start to skim. It is a lot easier to empty when completely dry.

Skeeter, I like your idea and I have an unsued small garbage can that I can to put to use.

J20832, I fill my large leaf rake several times each time I skim.. and I skim twice day.

Thank you all very much!
Karen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.