2-Speed Motor Problem

Apr 10, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
I recently had a 2-speed motor installed as part of the overall package when I had my pool refurbished. It is a used 1.5 h.p. Hayward motor. I also installed another timer to control the speeds. When the motor tries to start, it makes a humming sound for about 10 seconds and then turns off. There is an odor, possibly ozone or overheated metal. The motor casing is very hot. During this time it does not turn the impeller. I can only get it to start after I open the pump cover and relieve some of the pressure. What do you think is wrong?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Opening the pump cover does not relieve any pressure ... the system is at atmospheric pressure when the pump is off (as the gauge on your filter should show 0psi). So, I am not sure why that would help get the motor going.

Usually a humming motor like that indicates a problem with the start capacitor. Or maybe that the centrifugal contact switch on the end of the motor is stuck.

Does this happen when trying to start in both high and low speed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.