Iron stain removal results

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
It took 15 days to get free chlorine from 4.5 ppm to zero. So finally this morning I lowered the pH to 7.2 and added 3 lb of Ascorbic Acid. The results are pretty amazing. In 1 hour the liner went from a dingy yellowish blue to a bright clear blue. Even the wheels on polaris and the PVC fitting around the skimmer were stained a dirty yellow and now look bright white and brand new.

I bought a HACH iron test kit and so far have not been able to detect any iron in the water before or after adding the AA. I boiled 250 grams of water down to 10 grams after adding the AA and still no iron showed up in the test. The test is supposed to detect iron down to 1 ppm. I can only assume the test is faulty or the iron is in the form of ferrous and the test will only detect ferric. Has anybody used the HACH kit for iron?

I've decided to take a chance and drain and refill the pool. It has been drained three times for liner replacements and there were no problems with the walls moving or caving in so I'm hoping I can get away with it again. If not the liner is about 8 or 9 years old and could stand replacing. So it would not hurt my feelings it I do have to do some repair.

Even ignoring ground water issues, draining a liner pool below roughly 1 foot deep in the shallow end is not recommended, especially with a liner that is more than a few years old. It is unlikely that an older liner will survive the pool being refilled.

JasonLion said:
Even ignoring ground water issues, draining a liner pool below roughly 1 foot deep in the shallow end is not recommended, especially with a liner that is more than a few years old. It is unlikely that an older liner will survive the pool being refilled.

Now you are making me worried. What do you think about the negative iron test? With as much staining as I had I expected to be able to detect iron after the AA was added.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.