Advice on pointing of return jets?

eball

Feb 10, 2013
Hi all -- pool newbie here. Just opened our fiberglass in-ground and I'd like to know what people think is ideal aiming for our two return jets. Here's a diagram of the pool with jets/skimmer/main drain indicated. Appreciate the help in advance!

[attachment=0:2og1znak]pool shape.jpg[/attachment:2og1znak]

Attachments

• pool shape.jpg
    pool shape.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 297
Welcome to tfp, eball :wave:

What direction is the prevailing wind?

Usually you want to get the water moving in a circle throughout the whole pool. My first thought looking at yours, is to aim the top jet to the right and the bottom jet to the left. Unless you are trying to aerate the water, you probably want the jets pointing slightly down as well.

You will have to experiment to see if you can get a circular motion.

Is the skimmer on the down wind side? You want the water to go in a circular motion. I'd try aiming the return across from the skimmer towards the light fixture. And the opposite one towards the center of the side wall. counter clockwise flow.

linen said:
bobodaclown said:
I'd try aiming the return across from the skimmer towards the light fixture.
What light fixture?

That's funny. While I didn't indicate one on my drawing, it's actually in the same position (but higher) above the main drain.

I understand what you're both saying, though. Aim the jet near the stairs to the right, and aim the one across from the skimmer at the light. I'll mess around with it this weekend and see what happens. I do like to see some surface agitation -- any problems aiming them slightly up?

eball said:
I understand what you're both saying, though. Aim the jet near the stairs to the right, and aim the one across from the skimmer at the light. I'll mess around with it this weekend and see what happens. I do like to see some surface agitation -- any problems aiming them slightly up?

Aiming them up improves their performance at moving debris on the surface. If you get a lot of leaves and bugs, it's the way to go.

If the wind blows into your stairs, you'll have a hard time keeping them clear no matter how you aim the returns.

JohnT said:
Aiming them up improves their performance at moving debris on the surface. If you get a lot of leaves and bugs, it's the way to go.

If the wind blows into your stairs, you'll have a hard time keeping them clear no matter how you aim the returns.

Got it; thanks! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.