Need cheap 24V controller for valve actuation

I have a 24V Compool valve actuator that switches water flow to my rooftop solar. The original controller is broken.

The pool pump runs off of its own integrated timer. Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap 24V timer that will open/close the valve? I don't need a full setup like a Suntouch or other. Just a basic timer to open/close the valve. I do have an Intermatic mechanical timer (very old one), but I read in another post that to use their valve timer accessory I would need to upgrade the whole timer unit. I'm trying to go cheap, as everything else with the pool is setup and running perfectly.

Hi CASwede,

I can get in touch with our local Intermatic Rep. to see what he would suggest. When you say "Just a basic timer to open/close the valve" how would you want the timer to know when to open and close the valve? Most of the solar controls do this based off of a temperature differential in the pool and spa? Or do you want a timer that would just activate the valve at a certain time each day? Let me know and I will chat with Intermatic to see what they suggest.

Why not do it right with a differential solar controller, you can buy a plain GL-235 for under $150 new, and you can get a pair of 10K thermistors sealed in epoxy with 10+ ft wiring lead, etc. off ebay for $5-$10, total investment under $200. That way it comes on when the sun is out and turns itself off when it gets dark, starts to rain, etc.

If you just want to slave it to the pump running, I suggest getting a relay and a 24 volt power supply and just switching the actuator thru the relay. However the right way to go would be Isaac's suggestion.

If you can return the compool valve you have, purchase a Suntouch unit from Pentair.
$320.00 and includes the electric valve, and temp sensors, and will make your solar use more effective. Also runs the pump.
A lot of control in a cheap package.

You say your pump has an integrated timer...if its an intelliflo or intellipro, I'd look into the solartouch unit. Use the brains and the temp sensors then sell valve and actuator on eBay. You'd be into it for around $200 and the unit will switch speeds on Pentair VS when heating conditions are ideal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.